Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a new P7M8.

Given it's a 9mm, I feel +Ps are needed to make it a truly serious carry gun. Can the P7 handle +P, or will hot loads crack its frame etc.?

ALso, why don't HK put their HE finish on the gun? I am concerned about carrying it IWB and rusting it.

DO after market finishes work well on the P7 (don't cause reliability problems?)

THanks

Slice

G

·
+P, +P+, NATO and higher are no problem for the P7 design.

The P7 is amply strong for these hot 9mm's in the mid 1980's Jeff Cooper used a P7 to develop the 9mm Super, they finally dropped the pressures down when the brass began to shred itself against the HKs chamber.

The HE finish is a design specifically for the USP, the USP and the P7 do not share the same materials but it would be fine on the P7.

The P7 is a prime candidate for almost any high quality finish, I am partial to nickel and black T on the P7.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are examples out there of factory Phosphate finished P7M8's, which is more durable then straight blue/black finish. Most of these were Park Police left-overs (unsold/unissued).

Also, many other P7 owners who lament the durability (lack of) of the factory blue/black finish get their pistols hard-chromed, or some other finish (Black-T, Birdsong, NP3, Robar) if they don't like the chrome. Most are not as durable as the chrome, though.

A good source of info from other users is the P7Cult board at http://www.parkcitiestactical.com .

Go to discussion boards, then to P7 Cult. So far this has been the best source of info from other users and a few 'smiths I've found. Use the search function regarding finishes to get more answers to your question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know the p7's are made froma steel with a very high carbon content...this may be the reason they are not offered in a HE style coating...I've heard from people trying to mill the slide on a P7 saying it was tough as hell to do. the high carbon content probably has something to do with it rusting easily if not properly cared for.
DWE

·
Registered
3 Posts
P7M8, very hot load, no problem.
P7M13, very hot load, BIG PROBLEM.
The M13's I am familar with have an unsupported case mouth, shooting very hot loads will cause the brass to stick in the chamber. Such brass has to be pounded out with a cleaning rod and mallet. If the brass is weak, it can blow out the unsupported area. The M8's I am familar with do not have this problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.