Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a little curious...does anyone have any info as to why the P7 never made it into a .45? I've always liked the P7, but can't wrap my brain around a 9mm...guess I'm just funny that way.

Of course, maybe I'm way off on the underconfidence in the 9mm...anybody here actually used one in real world that doesn't have a problem carrying it?

Eric

G

·
The P7 was actually produced in both .45 and .38Super and 7 45's and 4 .38 Supers were sold off as prototype guns.

The P7M10 was originally built as a 10mm and 8 working prototype pistols were sold, when the demand for the 10mm began tapering off the descision was made to improve the American sales numbers for the P7 line by producing it in .40 S&W.

As to the 9mm the issue has never been effectivenss or any percieved "power" differences. The 9mm works and works as often as effectively as any other handgun manufactured when used properly and loaded with properly designed ammunition.

The much vaunted effectiveness improvement of the .40 S&W over the 9mm +P and +P+ JHP is a difference that requires a magnifying class and small calipers to measure on autopsy.

If you train properly and use a quality firearm like the P7, Glock, or 1911 with good ammo you will do little beyond empty your wallet by purchasing additional weapons systems.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had enough faith to carry the p7 psp as a duty weapon when they first came out. unfortunately, as with most new guns, good duty leather was hard to come by. it was either shoemaker (horrible fit) or bianchi (great fit but saftey strap behind grip)

i finally went with a sig 226 which i carried for more then 10 years on the street.

just to show that i'm open-minded, before the p7 i carried a combat commander and i am currently switching off between the sig 220 and beretta 96

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the info...

Dave,

Very true, the .45 over 9mm debate (and definitely the .40 over 9mm) is probably a psychological comfort thing more than anything else. I suppose proper midset/tactics always prevail...

Thanks again,
Eric

·
Registered
81 Posts
Eric,

I don't have any problem with the proper 9mm round. I love the P7..and am currently waiting for my CCW and my NIB P7...I'm no expert and you can research until your eyes fog up...But, most of us civilians are just as well served with the 9mm as anything else...Just use and practice with what you will legally carry...

tonys

·
Registered
148 Posts
A couple of thoughts: the P7M7 was not all that compact unlike the 9mm version; the design uses a gas retarded blow back and the gas chamber is probably a lot more effective with a high pressure cartridge such as 9mm or .40 S&W.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P7 in .45 ACP

Hi, I realize ths is a very old thread, but I'm looking in for the first time (just signed up)

I seem to remember coming across an H&K P7M8 (I think it was an M8) that was chambered in .45 ACP. This was at a gun store in Waldorf, MD, it was on consignment, and it was blued, it had a brown holster that seemed to have been custom-made for it. I distinctly remember looking at its hexagonal rifling. At that time (1982 or thereabouts) it was selling for about $400, but another customer at the store convinced me that a 1911 was a better buy and I believed him (stupid me!)

So I was surprised to see Pistolero's link saying that only a few of these were made and that H&K has all of them. Can anyone out there by any chance confirm or or deny my sighting?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.