Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any gunsmith doing modifications of any sort to P7s? If so, what are they? Any pictures?

Does anyone else think that the P7 is THE perfect handgun out of the box (including Glocks and Sigs and any other handgun anyone would care to name)?

P7 lovers UNITE!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com can redo the slides to make them black again. I believe they have a package where they blacken the slide and install night sights for the refurb guns that have gone "plum" colored. Other than that I haven't heard of anyone doing work on the P-7's, but then again, what would you really want to change on one?
Good shooting. Jake

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had my P-7 for over 20 years and never had a single problem. I keep it clean and use only quality jacketed ammunition. That's all the "gunsmithing" its ever needed.

Few gunsmiths specialize in the P-7 but I know Teddy Jacobson is a fan of them and has worked on them. As I understand it however, he focuses only on trigger/reliability work.

Some time ago Massad Ayoob mentioned a guy named Bruce ?. I think I've seen his name bantered about but I don't know if he actively works on P-7s. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That would be Bruce Gray, who used to do IPSC conversions on P7M13s some 15 years ago.
I don't have any current contact info on him.

T. Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems is the only "P7-smith" of whom I'm currently aware, but beyond repairs, sight installation, and coatings, I'm not sure what he'll do. Best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On another forum (parkcities) someone once posted a P7 with a longer and threaded barrel with a compensator on it that he was using in IPSC. I think the concensus was that it was a liability when used in conjucton with the P7 gas piston system. I have also seen lasers adapted and attached to the P7. A local dealer here in Honolulu (who I don't recommend, but is a big and long winded presence on GunsAmerica) has a Metalifed P7 with dual ports cut into the front of the slide and barrel. I got to handle it but have not fired it. It was good work though I have never felt that P7 recoil was harsh enough to justify it. Nill grips are now in the US and sell wood grips. Other than that I think a hard chrome job and nite sites are really all a P7 needs.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sawbones has got it. I thought the Graygun was the neatest thing I had ever seen (pictured.) He started with a P7M13 and put on a 5 inch conventionally rifled barrel for heavy cast bullets. No chamber flutes so high pressure loads couldnt't expand the case into ribs. I don't recall if he drilled a different size gas port or not. Then he welded an extension onto the nose of the slide to 6 inches from the breechface. The extra inch in front of the muzzle was an expansion chamber comp in the slide. That way, muzzle blast added to the retardation provided by the gas piston. Put on Bomar sights, long before Aimpoints came in, and did as much of a grip reduction as possible on the widebody squeezecocker. Must have been appreciable, the article said a top lady shooter used one. Loaded to 9mm Major while that was allowed.
The last I saw of Bruce Gray, he was the author of the text in the Laser Cast loading manual. No idea if he is still gunsmithing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On 2001-07-06 23:42, Jim Watson wrote:

The last I saw of Bruce Gray, he was the author of the text in the Laser Cast loading manual. No idea if he is still gunsmithing.
Seems to me he operates out of Sacramento, CA. I don't know if he still does P7's or not, though. Doesn't he have something to do with the H&K shooting team?

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
On 2001-07-07 17:47, Scooter wrote:
He did a trigger job on my P7M8, it took him maybe 30 seconds to do the trigger job.
What is the result of the trigger job? Less pull weight, less takeup, more crisp? I am curious as usually isn't a P7 around 3.5 lb pull out of the box?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The stock trigger is pretty light, but somewhat unpredictable. Essentially it's a DA trigger, you don't really know when it's going to break. What I wanted was a more define breaking point, like an on and off switch. Bruce can make it more define, but the end result is the trigger pull weight is increased. I haven't measured the actual weight. The reason I wanted a more define trigger is for Steel Challenge. Granted the difference in the trigger results in a marginal difference in time, it just feels more comforting knowing when the shot will break. It ends up more of a SA trigger than a DA feel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MPower,

You wouldn't be talking about Gen Del. Enterprises, would you? If so, I couldn't agree more.

I recently purchased a P7M8. Besides adding tritium sights, I can't think of any custom work I'll ever do on mine, other than eventually having it hard chromed.

Though it has a little more kick than I was expecting, I really like the gun; and I'm not a big 9mm fan. It's extremely accurate, reliable, and concealable. What more can you ask of a pistol?

Okay, so it's not the most aesthetically pleasing gun in my HK collection :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am lucky enough to own four of Bruce's custom P7's (Along with three other guns from him). Although at this time he is a little too busy to take on any setrious P7 gunsmithing he says never say never. As of now he doesn't even own a P7!! I will post pictures if he says iit is OK, but I wont without his OK I don't want him to get swamped with requests and him get mad at me. He is from Sacrament and will be in So CA this week to shoot the Steel Challenge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.