Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding P18 high caps. Anyone know where some may be found? Also could a 38super mag be made to work with 9mm.
Thanks for any help on this subject.

Van

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen a couple of friends using 38 Super mags in their P-18. They have to pick through all of their mags and individually test each mag using only the ones that work. No one uses them on a regular basis due to unreliability.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen a couple of friends using 38 Super mags in their P-18. They have to pick through all of their mags and individually test each mag using only the ones that work. No one uses them on a regular basis due to unreliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks the info guys.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HeyVan on 2002-03-27 06:24 ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have heard from a source very close to Para that the 40 SW mags work well in the 9mm. The only problem is that you have to load them one or 2 cartridges less then full capacity or else they will not feed properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They might work but not reliably. The 9mm is much shorter so they might shift a little. Also since the 9MM case is tapered, the more rounds you put it the more the nose of the bullets will tilt down. When shooting the gun, you will find that the rounds will nosedive right into the feedramp. I had used something similiar. I was running 9x21 loaded long as the 38 Super rounds in the Hi cap mags. If I loaded 10 rds, then most of the time it worked. Too much problems so the gun will be in 38 Super.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue as LK, my Super mags with only 10 in them they will run fine but more than 10 and they nose dive. I know that STI makes a 9mm conversion kit for thier hi-cap Super mags with a shorter follower and spacer for the rear of the tube. You may be able to make that work in a Para tube but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kinda the same but different. I built a 9mm singlestack 1911 for IDPA. 38 super mags can be had in 10 round but 9mm mags only hold 9. had similar nosedive problems. finally got it solved. And now it runs like a champ. Use winchester bullets. I am using 115gr HBFMJ. I can load these out to 1.2 and the still chamber you just wont have much bullet in the case so generally load them to 1.160. If you mike walley world white box you'll see that these are about 1.160. My gun will fee any round nose that I can load to 1.140 or longer. But some bullets wont chamber if seeted that far. Berry's I can load to 1.180. But precision and DJ have to be around 1.110. Whether this does you any good or not due to the taper problem with more than ten rounds I couldn't say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts