Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I will be the first to admit that while I do have four PCs in my home office for "work" and intelligence gathering I thought I was "above" the computer gaming scene.

That is until I picked up the Rainbow Six series form Tom Clancy based on a good recomendation.

Now I have been unbelievably, playing this game and planning/replanning these scenarios for the last 12 hours.

Have I fianlly gone insane or is this a "good" game?

I will say that I am sure my OP Leader would definitely want to "frag" me as I am very, very, careful I planned so many waypoints and commands that my "team" was able to survive the entire first game without a casuality, now in the expansion pack the AI seem to be programmed differently?

Does anyone else find this "game" interesting?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is able to "adapt"...I think there are several"levels" it can adapt with of AI...It is still programmed but it DOES make it interesting doesn't it?!
I've found a few other titles with a similar feel but this, is of course, *ideal* for OUR type of gaming...:wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Granted I am seriously short on sleep thanks to this game, but I had a lot of fun sending my squad scurrying through that house like burglars trying to plant the telephone listening device.......

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hmmm, I may have to look into Rainbow Six. Which version?

Personally, I've been addicted to Half-Life and its expansion packs, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Opposing Force is more team oriented, but less planning critical than it sounds like R6 is. Blue Shift is pretty much like Half-Life with upgraded graphics and new areas to explore.

Great 1st person shooters, though, with a pretty tough AI. It's fun to save the game just before a firefight and try different tactics to see what works. Pretty tricky to take on a spec-ops mop up team with just a Berreta 92FS, but it can be done (at least with a fast mouse finger and judicious use of the "save game" button :smile:.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-06-25 10:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-06-25 15:51, Mute wrote:
Chad,

If you like half-life, try the counterstrike mod. It's a blast (pun intended).
Is Counter Strike on-line multiplayer only or is there a single player version? Looks pretty cool.

Chad

·
Registered
934 Posts
AFAIK it's just a mod, so you can play single player if you download additional maps. If you look over various Counterstrike sights you should find some single player maps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
On 2001-06-25 10:55, Chad Ward wrote:
Hmmm, I may have to look into Rainbow Six. Which version?
Rogue Spear is better than Rainbow Six, as R6 had some clipping issues (people sticking their heads through walls and killing you, etc.). Rogue Spear's worn me out so much that I've had to put it away for awhile, as the mission planning can, as David said, be very intense and time-consuming, though well worth the trouble. If you can get a "collector's edition" or "gold" pack with the whole series, though, it's definitely worth playing them all, though I wouldn't drop $20-40 for R6 alone.

Counterstrike is MP only, but it's by far the most fun I've had in that genre. If you have room for several people to set up computers in the same room (and a supply of friendly people who want to), it's a great way to waste quite a bit of time. You can run a local server, and everyone can play with/against each other. Just make sure that the wife/SO is out of town, or you'll be mocked for months for all of the yelling, ducking, cursing, etc. that will almost certainly ensue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: georgek on 2001-06-28 22:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
On 2001-06-28 21:56, georgek wrote:
Rogue Spear is better than Rainbow Six, as R6 had some clipping issues (people sticking their heads through walls and killing you, etc.). Rogue Spear's worn me out so much that I've had to put it away for awhile, as the mission planning can, as David said, be very intense and time-consuming, though well worth the trouble. If you can get a "collector's edition" or "gold" pack with the whole series, though, it's definitely worth playing them all, though I wouldn't drop $20-40 for R6 alone.
Ah, exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks! I'll have to pick up a copy of Rogue Spear.

Chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok,
So here I am with my son in line at EB to purchase the half life platnium pack when he picks up the Diablo 2 box and I start to read it an think "OK" why not?
As we are leaving I spot the Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction expansion pack and say "why not"?

Well,
That was at 530pm, it is now 2am.
I played it all the way through defeating Diablo then Baal and I need to ask what happened?

When Diablo died I returned to speak with Tyrel and Cane then I saw the cinematic roll where Baal tricked the story teller and murdered him.
Then it cut to the expansion pack scene with Baal taking the barbarian fortress.
I played it through completing the quests, I got my armor from "the gods", I found the hidden level after beating the "elders". Then defeated Baal easily and watched as Tyrel smashed the world stone, the cinematics ran and it cut to the beginning of the games startup screen after letting me know I would now be known as the "slayer" insert my charcters name.
What happened? Is that it?

These games are seriously addictive.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pete,
Not trying to spoil the game, but I am wondering why did it just end?
Perhaps my game crashed?
I can select any level and restart without issue but the cinematics just stopped...

Any insight?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sounds like they made a lame cinematic ending for the expansion pack. BTW, thanks for telling us the ending David. :roll:

·
Registered
658 Posts
On 2001-07-12 19:27, David DiFabio wrote:
Pete,
Not trying to spoil the game, but I am wondering why did it just end?
Perhaps my game crashed?
I can select any level and restart without issue but the cinematics just stopped...

Any insight?
Don't know...I have not had more than an hour or so to play, and I decided to start a new character in a different class to play through the whole thing again. I suspect it will be quite a while before I get to the end this time around.

If you don't know about it already, check out PlanetDiablo for more info.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Okay, I've been playing Rogue Spear for a week or so now -- just finished the first op (Pandora Trigger). I realize that the timeframe is probably a bit extreme, but I'm a perfectionist :smile:.

Is it just me or is the AI more than a little flakey if you don't place everyone just perfectly? The terrorists act fairly smart, but my own guys are dumb as doorposts. It's like the Three Stooges do Counterterrorism!

For example, I assigned a team to breach the back door of the museum. I set two other teams with go codes to wait for the breach (otherwise they just opened the door and ran in while the first team was setting the charge -- blew up my own team once or twice). The breacher blew the door, stepped inside and turned around to cover the rest of the team! He was shot in the back numerous times while waving an MP5 at his teammates. If he wasn't shot, he just blocked the door so that the other teams couldn't enter. During one run I shot him myself just to get him out of the way :evil:.

In another spot I apparently didn't place the team close enough to a doorway (even though I was right on top of it on the map). The team kept getting wiped out while I was controlling another team. Finally, I ran mission in "watch" mode so I could see what was going on. The doofus with the flashbang couldn't hit the doorway! He tossed the flashbang right into the middle of his own team. I think I even saw the terrorists struggling not to giggle while they wiped my guys out :roll:. I fixed that on the plan, but then the guy refused to wait for the go code before tossing the flashbang.

Oy.

Any general hints or tips on use of go codes, team placement or selection would be greatly appreciated.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-08-02 09:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
Chad,

I've found the same problems with the R6 game engine. Can't seem to get my guys to act like they know what they're doing unless I micromanage.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.