Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you all might like to see a pic of my new 38 Super commander. It is a pre-series 70 commander all original and it is in excellent condition.

I plan on turning this into a 9x23 carry gun in the near future.
The usual stuff
Novak bar dot night sights
Ed Brown mainspring housing
Ed brown safetys
Checkered and serrated
Frame will be anodized black with all blue small parts
The slide will be bright blue
Now all I need is a nice pair of grips.
I think a pair of smooth ivory grips would look rather nice.
but Scott (SDMFabricating.com) says only a pimp or a greasy Italian would carry a pistol with ivory grips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mike Benedict on 2001-05-20 11:22 ]</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very nice pistol-

I have been restricting myself from cruising the net too much looking at Colt pistols for sale cause I know where it would lead me.......and it doesn't get any better than that one, for me anyway. Congrats.

- -Jacques

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blinder

Do you think Dane would give me a set of his ivory grips if I promise not to spray paint the BBQ gun any more?

here is a pic of the famous BBQ gun. It has been my weekend carry pistol for several years now. I can't see leaving it in my truck so I don't carry it during the week.

·
Registered
988 Posts
That Commander is what I still search the pawn shops around here for. Probably will never find one, but under the hope that I will, I keep looking.

It is a nice pistol, Mike. I am sure you will do it right.

Btw, I figured the BBQ gun would be all nasty looking...looks pretty damned nice to me.

G

·
Pearl. It's pearl that only a pimp or greasy Italian would carry. Gen Patton had ivory on his heater, so it must be OK.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It was the General that once remarked after having someone question his "pearl handled" revolver, that "only a New Orleans pimp would have pearl handles on their gun." His stocks were indeed ivory. Now if he only learned how to handle a 1911 without causing an ND, then he wouldn't have needed that revolver in the first place -- nor would he have maligned the reputation of the 1911 pistol!

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-05-05 00:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
but Scott (SDMFabricating.com) says only a pimp or a greasy Italian would carry a pistol with ivory grips.
Being neither of the above and having a penchant for ivory I find those kinds of comments come from fools that have never used ivory and haven't coughed up the coin for a pair :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-05 17:18 ]</font>

G

·
Dane, I am one of those tight wads but those are some mighty pretty stocks. How much are the ivory grips? Thanks and regards, Richard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2001-05-05 19:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Five years ago I was in the process of sending Walt Rauch a gun for review. Trying to a amiable soul I asked Walt what kind of trigger, main and grips he wanted. (fool that I was) Of course he replied "ivory of course". I thought "ya sure I'll jump on putting a set of $200 grips on a demo 1911".

Turns out Walt was right if you can stand the color and bare the price. Ivory is great for carry. The old gunmen from Hickock right up to today knew that. Ivory feels warm in the hand and is TOUGH. I am working over a pair of guns with 30 year old ivory on them and it looks great. I wish I had slabs years ago. They sold for under $100 from Colt when I first priced them. A good pair now will run $200 plus.

G

·
Dane, thanks for the quick reply. I do not think $200 is out of the question. I will just have to save my change. Again thanks and regards, Richard

·
Registered
32 Posts
This old **** loves ivory stocks. (So where's Luigi to support this . . .?) Pearl is too slick, fragile and just looks cheesy to me.

When the ivory gets the handling patina and gets a little yellow, it's really beautiful.

Rich

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hell, I love ivory and I'm Asian. What does that make me?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rich, I'm here for ya' buddy..Second that about the Ivory. I have a few Colt SAA's with Ivory, and a set of Ivory for my Officers ACP. Besides spaghetti sauce wipes right off the Ivory without staining!
Luigi

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I settled on a all black pistol with polished bone grips.
The grips are basicly cream colored with black, grey tan and even pink hi-lights.
What more could a greasy Italian want.

I had better get back to making holsters so I can pay for the new pistol

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts