Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

So, in recent weeks, as I lurked about, I have noticed this term being used every now an then...

Quite frankly, I had never considered the value of such things, but looking back on certain examples of guns I either owned, or liked, I noticed a mix of both.

Apart from asthetics, is there another reason to make all the pins flush? I can understand certain cases, where something may be mounted that might obstruct.

I will say that I like the clean appearance of a flushed slide release/stop takedown pin.

From a Custom Makers perspective, I'd imagine that the detail involved requires a bit more 'fitting', but is it merely that simple?

Lastly... Just to clear the confusion, which is qualified? :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow... 77 views, and no replys... Guess it's either a case of a poorly written question, or no one has an opinion.

Being where we are, I would venture that it must be the former, and not the later, since EVERYONE here has expressed opinions on practically EVERY topic under the sun :grin:

Maybe I should have added "Gunwriters" or "Gunrags" in the subject :grin:

·
Registered
515 Posts
The sear and hammer pins need to be flush if using an ambi-safety. Otherwise, it is not functionally important. Ideally, the edge where the shank of the pin transitions to the "domed" portion should be exactly level with the frame...neither above it or below it. This is, perhaps, something that one should expect (and pay for) on a "best grade" gun, but I can't get too excited about it.

Rosco

·
Registered
113 Posts
As Rosco has observed, the ambi-safety issue is the only one I know of that would necessitate a flush fit to the frame.

Still, I had never even heard of a "qualified" pin before last week ... guess I need to start paying closer attention. :smile:

Chuck

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2001-06-15 01:26, JJ wrote:
The problem I've had with a flush fit slide stop is that it makes it a pain to put back in the gun. A lot harder to get through the barrel link esp with a match fit.

JJ
Ouch... That could get ugly... :wink:

I noticed this on the BCP Grey Ghost, and found it quite pleasing, but hadn't considered this little issue...

I noted telackey's post too about it being bumped out... I suppose, there's a solution to this...

I noticed a Heinie gun that had the pin shortened, but still rounded, and the oin side (ejection port side) had the hole chamfered, and it did not extend past the frame.

Yup.. That explantion was clean... Let me see if I can find a pic :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.