Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me the name of a Top Quality, Locking, Airline Approved Pistol Case to be used to transport my Glock via Commercial Air Carrier to Colorado?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Matt: I didn't understand what you meant. That is what I have been told by a couple of airlines. You never had a problem? Never had a theft? Is there any way to insure it? Thanks for your help. Topspin :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
It varies with each carrier so check with your airlines and print their firearms policy and have it with you just in case.

I pretty much always fly Southwest and I have never had a prob. They allow 3 checked bags each up to 70lbs (most others allow 2 up to 50) and your luggage is auto insured for $2250. You can purchase an additional $1200 or so for $1 per $100 coverage.

For awhile I was taking an average of 1 flight a week and always with guns. The only issues I have had is the occaisonal agent that does not know the regs.

My advice
Get there early
When you go up to check your bags wait until they print the tags then say I needs to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage.
Do not let them put a firearm tag on the outside of any bag ever
Tape all ammo boxes closed
Be nice
Stay with your bag when getting Xrayed and dont let it out of your sight until its on the belt to the luggage maze
Lock your hard sided gun case
Do not lock your duffel bag
Use a HD ziptie on your duffel

Do your homework and research and print the relevant info from your airline and TSA.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt: Thanks for all the very good tips. I appreciate it. One last question: Who is the Mfg of the case that you use? Topspin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt: 10-4 and thanks for all the help. I have Pelican sending me a catalog. They are a bit vague on their website and I questioned them about it. Hence they are sending me a catalog. Politically correct, (I believe), and don't want to talk too much about guns. :roll: I hear, however from LEO friends, that they make the best ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got an old Tec 9 box that came with the tec 9. It has a handle and I lock it with a keyed padlock.

The airline folks like it because they see the big brass lock through the handle and think "lock".

Keep it simple. I always recite the regs politely as I am showing the gun.

"Here is my unloaded handgun in it's case that I will lock". (show lock) agent puts orange tag in case, I put case in my suitcase.

"My ammunition is in its original full box in that other bag over there per faa regs"

I don't say these things in a smartass way andt the agents seem to take comfort in being walked through it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Matt's right on the money in every detail. Flying with guns is not nearly as hard as some people make it out to be.
Put your lockable case in your suitcase and it doesn't have to be THAT good. Pelican is great but VERY expensive. Doskocil makes as good a case as anyone and they are more reasonably priced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts