Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the life a pistol defined? Once you put "too many" rounds through it, what fails that makes it ready for the scrap heap? And have you just tossed an old frame into the waste can?)

And how does this relate to frame material? Does a steel framed gun last significantly longer than one made of aluminum? How about polycarbonate - I guess they use metal inserts at the impact points, so does this give them equal life as compaerd to than a metal framed gun? Or greater, due to the base frame springing a bit?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I suppose you should retire one after it has broken and can`t be repaired.. The steel frames will out last alloy ones, by how much i am not sure, Kimber says there alloy frames have tested up to 20,000 rounds.. As far as polymer frames go, it seems you can`t ever wear them out.. I`ve shot a USP that had over 250,000 rounds through it, and i read a report that glock had a "21" at the factory that had over a million rounds in it.. -Gilmore

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info so far, but I'm not really looking for anecdotes, but rather a description a mechanical functioning (pistolsmithing) point of view as to exactly what fails, and how? Accuracy gradually drops off? Reliability drops? Suddenly or gradually? For example, if the frame fails, how?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would think that different makes of pistol wear differently. A Charles Daily will probably break a different part than a Kimber at a lower round count. A Glock can not be compaired to a 1911 because the internals are different. I think what fails at round 20,000 with a Glock will not be what fails with an HP.
Sorry to be of no more help
Gerald

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spoke with a gentleman on the weekend. He's shot 1/2 million rounds through one of his pistols. He's changed out the top end 3 times, but his frame is still solid. The Frame name is no surprise, so no need to mention it. He did say that one slide broke early. (Not from the same manufacturer as the frame though)
The frame, by the way, was from a Casting. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts