Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am a complete novice with handguns. Having said that I am also very competent and comfortable with assembling and tinkering with intricate gadgets large & small.

I took apart my P10-45 just after I got it trying to figure out it’s annoying “jam-a-matic” tendencies. Had to send it to Para to get it working again. Seems that darned three fingered springy doohickey has to go back in just right. Still jammed though(Para didn't fix that!), found a competent local smith that replaced the extractor and did a little polish and all was well.

Learning from this I did research, got books and diagrams, and have since recently completely detail striped my Kimber. It went back together very nicely and I took it to the range and had a very competent RSO who I trust assist me with checking the weapon out and then test firing it. I think it’s important to have your work checked while you build proficiency.

What I found inside my Kimber bothered me. Globs of a semi-hard waxy white deposit all over every surface. I had read that taking the grips off and cleaning by blasting with break cleaner was a good thing to clean out the pistol. I know that the gunk was not there prior to cleaning with break cleaner, whether it was the break cleaner or a chemical reaction with whatever lubricant the factory had placed I don’t know.

I also rubbed a small rust spot that had formed on the frame under the grips with terry cloth soaked in the break cleaner, took the black finish off the frame really well. I don’t think this was a good thing. :sad: I probibly did it wrong, rubbed too hard, used the wrong kind of break cleaner, whatever.

I’m learning. I’ll get better at it. I’ll detail strip my guns and clean them carefully and gently by hand and use products designed for firearms. But I will never use break cleaner again.

So, let's hear your "war stories" in this vein, and hopefully share a little knowledge and help others avoid the "oops, damnits".

Webb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wewebb on 2001-05-01 19:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
59 Posts
Replaced the slide stop spring in a Ruger P89. Then the slide stop wouldn't come back out. So I whacked it with a punch. Hell, how was I supposed to know the frame wasn't metal.

I miss that gun.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If it's been dropped, scratched, chipped, burnt, bent, scuffed, melted, warped, dinged, singed, broken, stripped, crushed, gouged, seized, or (insert your own worst blunder here), I've done it. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts