Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Colt Officer's receiver configured w/o the series 80 firing pin safety components.
I would appreciate any help in sourcing the parts for a commander slide. I plan for this be be my poor man's CCO.

Since I don't need the firing pin safety, can I use any commander slide?

I also need advice on:
firing pin, fp spring, extractor, barrel and bushing and recoil spring and rod.

Am I missing anthing? I plan on using the Brownells catalog. Any info on other sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, welcome to the club! Seems that there are several people building these, including me. Any commander slide will fit your officers frame, since the series 80 parts have been removed.
The only problem with building a "poor man's CCO" is that you can find CCO's for less than the cost of the parts to build one. I saw a used one last week for $550.

·
Registered
239 Posts
First, be sure to use one of the Series 80 filler plates for the receiver. Remember that every "Commander" length gun from manuf. other than Colt can be different. If you can't find a real Colt slide, try Caspian, they should be cut to original Colt specs. Other guns have differed on OAL of slide (ie. Kimbers are 4" bbl vs. 4.25") and dimensions of the frame rails and/or dust covers.

The extractors, FP, FP stop can also be had from Caspian. They'd be the same as any 1911. Barrels are easy to find, though I'd only seen Commander bushings from King's. Recoil spring plug and rod can be ordered as Colt parts out of the back of the Brownell's catalog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys. I look forward to tinkering with this. I'm afraid to open pandoras box on this and get hooked!!!
Oh well, my wife is pretty understanding. At least she doesnt throw my catalogs away before I can see them :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.