Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I have shredded yet another cheap belt...I mostly wear jeans...What size belt am I looking for?(I can figure out my waist size....its the width that I would like to know) What do I need to know when shopping for a good belt?

Lou? anyone?

Thanks guys
Greg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bronco on 2001-07-26 09:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
219 Posts
Greg, the last belt I bought, I was measured from the hole in the belt where the buckle will close to the other end of the buckle.

Here is a link to the man who makes mine:

http://www.dgallagherholsters.com/orders.htm

Scroll down to the belts section and he has a gif that gives you a very good visual.

I hope this helps.

Denny

·
Registered
515 Posts
Your belt's width should match the slots or loops of your holster. It should also, inasmuch as possible, fill up your trousers' belt loops. For many jeans and BDU-type pants, you can go up to 1.75" wide. However, I think 1.5" is a better all-around width. For suit pants or dress slacks, a 1.25" width is probably about all the belt loops will hold.

Rosco

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to agree with Rob Garrett on belts. Of all the cheap and expensive ( $125 Galco, and some custom ) belts I have ever had, the $28.95 Uncle Mike's dress pistol belts I bought at Southeastern Guns in Atlanta are the best I've ever had. I've been wearing them for four years now and they look brand new. Holds pistol and holster, double mag pouch, cuffs and ASP and never stretches or sags and looks better than leather looks. I have the black, the brown and the lizard belts, though the one worn almost every day is the black. With taxes, I paid $90 for all three. I think they are up to a whopping $31 or $32 dollars now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Speaking of belts that'll out you to the opposition, those Wilderness belts are good'uns but the only folks I've seen wear 'em are gun-totin' folks. I suppose there's also a market for them amongst folks who scale mountains and such.

But if you're wearing a belt that says to observant folks that you are either a mountain climber or an armed and ready type and there ain't no mountans handy...

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should get a double thickness belt . Those single thickness bargain mart belts are only for holdin up pants and some dont even do that well . i know i went through the same deal , new belt every few months to try and hold up my 1911 . i finally ran into the man i currently work for who got me into a good leather belt and later a shark belt . My leather belt I outgrew and gave to my best freind as he really needed a good belt . I had worn it for three years and it looked like new . My shark belt has been worn every day for 4 years at least 12 hours a day , holding up my 1911 , mags and custom sharkskin cuff case its 1.5 inch width . it still has not sagged or started twisting in the back . We have a bunch of guys here with our local p.d. and s.d. carrying our stuff as an acid test , so far nothing has went bad . in the four years i have been there we have had one holster returned and it looked like a guy ran over it with a truck to . we replaced it anyway . come check us out we offer 1.4 and 1.5 inch widths in matching carry rigs or we can usually match the holster color you presently have . see ya later .

·
Registered
24 Posts
On 2001-07-27 16:05, Citizen_Gilmore wrote:
I wear a wilderness 5 stitch,it has over 7,000 lbs tensile strength.. Some may say it`s "overkill" but im kinda like that.. It is "serious" equipment.. Here is there link.. http://www.thewilderness.com -Gilmore
yea...wilderness belts are awesome if it fits into your wardrobe...try hooking a sparks v max up to it under some jeans with a t shirt untucked...you can forget it's there...don't head out to the airport in the meantime...

·
Registered
120 Posts
A belt to stay away from would be Wild Bill's Concealment's unlined version. He makes one that has a plastic insert and I should have waited for one. I just HAD to have a belt that day and went with the double thick 1.5 incher without lining. Here it is, less than six months later, and the belt is now next to worthless as a gun belt. Works good as a regular belt and probably will for many years to come, but that doesn't do me much good as I carry daily.

Good luck finding one. My next belt will be a Milt Sparks shark.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you go with the Widerness belt don't overlook their "CSM". FWIW, had a 5-Stitch that thought was not stiff enough for a heavy gun. Some claim the CSM is to stiff but have found it does not need to be as tightly worn to get equal or better support of gun. Bought it only for IDPA initially but has worked so well often use it on the street. IMO, they do need to offer a lighter buckle than their current {Heavy!} one for those who don't need its bombproof construction.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-08-24 09:38, Of Wolf and Man wrote:
A belt to stay away from would be Wild Bill's Concealment's unlined version. He makes one that has a plastic insert and I should have waited for one. I just HAD to have a belt that day and went with the double thick 1.5 incher without lining. Here it is, less than six months later, and the belt is now next to worthless as a gun belt. Works good as a regular belt and probably will for many years to come, but that doesn't do me much good as I carry daily.

Good luck finding one. My next belt will be a Milt Sparks shark.
Had a Wild Bills myself. Purchased it with a holster for a Glock 27. While waiting, I purchased a tapered 1.5" belt from Alessi. The difference between the two in night and day! Would have to say it will probably be alright for the Glock 27, but a full size .45 or Compact would probably work on this belt in short order.

Get the Alessi tapered 1.5" belt. Good people to deal with and defintely old school when it comes to service.

Tim

·
Registered
38 Posts
On 2001-07-28 21:48, ShortRound wrote:
Speaking of belts that'll out you to the opposition, those Wilderness belts are good'uns but the only folks I've seen wear 'em are gun-totin' folks. I suppose there's also a market for them amongst folks who scale mountains and such.

But if you're wearing a belt that says to observant folks that you are either a mountain climber or an armed and ready type and there ain't no mountans handy...
My Travel vest and combat boots may "out" me as being a tourist, or in the army, i`m neither.. My belt is usually concealed along with my weapon, but im not worried someone may think im a mountain climber if it`s not.. Just wanted to help pitch in with a possible remedy to the problem Bronco was having.. -Gilmore

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wear a Wilderness 5-stitch, 1-3/4" belt every day of the week. Have wore it for over a year now. The only people who think that it is a "gun belt" are the people that know me anyway, and they think I am armed all the time, whether or not I really am.

The average Joe on the street or in the mall won't give it a second look. It is built double-tough. That is why it seems to work so well for so long. Mine carries a 5" 1911, 2-3 spare mags, a cell phone, and usually a multi-tool. Everyday, no problems.

I was recently out in Pheonix and stopped by the Wilderness. Great store staffed with great people. Mr. Ralph Holzaus has probably forgotten more about nylon gear than most others will ever know!!! Great guy, fine gentleman.

I have gear bags(the absolute best money can buy!), holsters, belts and the Giles rifle sling from these guys. Their quality and service is the best!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mcgrubbs on 2001-09-04 08:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mcgrubbs on 2001-09-04 08:53 ]</font>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.