Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:
Ready to start loading 10mm, and interested in your choices for powder. Currently on the shelves, I've got WW231; AA#2, #5, and #7; Unique; Bullseye; Herco and Blue Dot. Going to be loading 170gr LTC, for now. What do you like, and why? Interested in accuracy, meter-ability, and how dirty the stuff shoots. A shooting buddy just gave me a whole keg of Unique, so was thinking of wasting some of this, but have concerns here dealing with accuracy and cleanliness. Thoughts? Any recipe info welcome, as well. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
For plinking loads W231, unique, #5

For full house loads: Ramshot Shillouette, Vectan SP 2, Alliant Power Pistol, Win Superfield, No. #7, Bluedot(listed best to lest best performance.

In my testing Shilloutte, which is repackaged Action Pistol, gives best high end loads with minimal pressure, then Vectan SP2, but is a bitch to use due to small spherical grain, Power Pistol is great, but peaks pretty quick on high end loads. Superfield is great performer for mid to higer level loads, No#7 will fill the case, get some high numbers, and be dirty, and Blue dot works well, but is dirty as well.

My normal pin loads are 155gr jhp at 1400, REALLY LIKE Shilouette! I use it in my 9x23 and the 10mm. Have a good one and please use a chrono and shoot rounds one at a time and examine the cases when working up max loads with the 10mm. Be Safe, DC

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Doug. What part of IA you from? I was born and raised in Knoxville. Say, how do you like the performance of Unique? I was very doubtful of using it in 10mm, but a guy at the gun show today spoke highly of it. Go figure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't have any of my load books in front of me, so I may be way off base here, but I think Unique is going to be too fast for a good case-filling charge in 10mm. Also, I have found that Unique doesn't meter too well in my Dillon powder measures. It also burns dirty.

I have been very happy using Vihtavouri powders...they meter well, burn clean, etc. The only downside to them is that they tend to be more expensive than the domestic powders.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A pinshooting buddy of mine modified some .40 molds with his equipment and made some 230 and 247gr roundtapered flatpoint pin bullets that we shot with Unique. This was the heavy bullet going 900-950 fps thang, not the high speed stuff that the 10mm is famous for, so the loads we used were in the medium range. Never found a powder that works better with cast bullets than Unique, doesnt burn the base due to the slow burn. Yes it is dirty, but man does it shoot! I personally wouldnt use Unique for high end loads, but it would definitely work ok for defensive type loads with the higher bullet weights, 180, 200. I am down to my last 1lb of an 8lb keg, gotta get some more, I am looking forward to trying the "new" reformulated Unique. This powder works with almost every cartridge.

I am living around Iowa City, having grown up on a farm 50mi south of here. Used to drive an ambulance to Knoxville everyother day taking VA patients over to the VA in Knoxville, also had some great nights that I dont remember at the race track also.

If I had it to do all over I would probably had all my pin guns built in 10mm and been done with it, the cartridge is that good and versatile. gotta go load some of the 3K of brass I got it yesterday.P. See ya, Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.