Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it say to not use a vacuum cleaner to clean up any spilled powder on the side of my Clays container? Is it because of the static charge that could be created in a vacuum cleaner during use? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know about the powder, but I can assure you that primers and Hoovers don't mix!! Years ago as a 18 YO, I used to sit on the bed at my Mom and Dads house and prime cases because the loading bench was in the garage. Lost a primer in the carpet one time and when my Moms Hoover picked it up, it went off and popped the sweeper brush out. She just talked to me, but Lord, what a talk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't use a regular vacuum cleaner for clean-up around the reloading bench. The problem is created by the vacuum bag not collecting and holding all the material it sucks up. If you ever disassemble a house vacuum cleaner for maintenance you will understand why.

A good quality shop vacuum is another situation. The electric components of this type vacuum cleaner is sealed from dust, water, etc. Therefore, you should not experience a problem when using it around your reloading bench. The reason is the way the vacuum cleaner draws in the material and the surrounding air. In a shop vacuum cleaner, neither the material nor the surrounding air passes through or near the electric motor which is where the problem with the home vacuum cleaner begins.

Of course, safety is the primary issue here. So if the clean-up is small, then manual labor is the safe method. But if the spill is large, a good quality shop will do the job safely.

Fare Ye Well My Friends,
Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.