Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just bought a S&W-labeled PPK/s. New in box, never fired other than test-fired at the factory (I assume).

I'm having problems doing the basic field stripping! This is embarrassing, as I'm a long-term shooter with a ton of other handguns, and do full disassemblies on 1911's and others....

Per the instructions, I'm pulling down on the trigger guard and pushing it slightly to the side so that it catches on the frame, out of the way. I then pull back on the slide, and try to pull up to remove the slide from the frame rails. However, no matter how many times I've tried, I've been unable to get the slide to budge off the frame rails!

Is there some trick to this that I'm missing? How far back should I be pulling the slide to find where it should lift up? I've tried various lengths, and "pulled up" through the whole cycling. The spring is very stiff in this new gun, but I believe I've pulled the slide to the full rearward position and tried there.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disregard, I managed to get it. :) It was just VERY stiff, and I had to press the slide down on a box to get it to pop off finally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Frank,

I think this is a common problem with the new S&W PPKS. A poster on another forum said he had to send his back to the factory to get the problem fixed.--Leigh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As posted above, I did manage to get that slide off. After cleaning/reassembly/lubing, I put about 100 rounds through it.

Later that day, it disassembled much easier than the first time (but still pretty stiff). I think it just needs some breaking in.

Les Baer would be proud of how tight this pistol is! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. I hope by shooting my new PPK it will losen up so I can take it apart to clean it. I have tried everything short of a hammer and crowbar to try to get the slide to lift off the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same problem. I hope by shooting my new PPK it will losen up so I can take it apart to clean it. I have tried everything short of a hammer and crowbar to try to get the slide to lift off the frame.
sorry your post wasnt seen it got caught in limbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts