Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WWII Russian PPSh-41 submachine gun. The original caliber is 7.62x25. First I had a 9x19 barrel made so I could shoot 9x19 and conserve my stash of Norinco 7.62x25. I wanted to convert it to a cartridge like the 9mm Mauser Export, which was said to be one of the best subgun cartridges, but after WWI, 9x19 was adapted by most European countries. I learned of the 9x23 when I was discussing this with an IPSC shooter. Almost the same dimensions as the 9mm Mauser Export! And the thicker web appealed to me since, with the PPSh, I needed a hotter load than normal. The 9x23 really rocks in my PPSh! A 71 round drum in 9x23 in full auto is quite an experience. :grin: Shooting 124 gr TCJ with 8.2 grs VihtaVuori 3N37 at 1551 fps and a cyclic rate of 1118 rpm. What a hard hitting round! Hotter than a .357 Mag. It really takes the steel down with authority! I have experimented with different powders and bullets (95 gr, 124 XTP and 147 gr).
Have a Star Model A that has a custom made piston type recoil rod that I shoot 9x23 through. Usually download the rounds for this pistol as a safety measure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: berg on 2001-07-03 02:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
36 Posts
That PPSh-41 in 9x23mm sounds fantastic! I imagine the newly imported Czech Model 24 kits could also be easily built up into 9x23--- but as post sample guns only! In semi-auto land you could probably modify a .45 Marlin Camp Carbine but the rebarreling costs would be expensive.

Similar to your Star, I've got a Star Model B Super in 9mm Largo that deserves some customizing...maybe to include rebarreling into 9x23mm? Who did your work? Is this feasible/desireable/safe?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Firar,
I thought a Star Model B was a 9mm P and the Largo was a Model A. Otherwise the same.
Anyhow, a 9mm Largo IS a 9x23 (by case dimensions, NOT by load) and I would not be surprised if a 9x23 Winchester went right in. If it did not, it would probably take only a touch with a reamer. Now you could load the gun to approximately DOUBLE its design pressure. And they say Spanish steel is a little soft. Load 9x23 Win down? Now you are back to Largo. Why bother? Separate ammo for pistol and subgun/carbine? "Let's see, now, did I put the pistol ammo in the blue box and the rifle ammo in the green? Or was it the other way around?"

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Is this feasible/desireable/safe?

Largo runs in the low 30K CUP and 9x23 Win runs in the HIGH 40K CUP.

SAFE?

NOT A CHANCE! This is a very bad idea to run 9x23 Win in any of the older guns or any of the new guns not designed for it specifically.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-03 11:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, both make valid points, but I'm a guy who put a Kawasaki engine on a hangglider, skydive and blown up a 40 S&W Glock and a .357SIG Glock. I'm used to living on the edge. As I said in my post, I download the 9x23 for the Star, so basically I'm shooting a 9mm Largo round. And I don't mind having a different round for my carry weapon than for my subgun, though I can see the benefit of having a standardized round for both weapons. If it came to a "Notlage" I probably would put my PPSh in 9x19 and carry my Glock 17 as a sidearm.
Pistolsmith is a great forum!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: berg on 2001-07-03 21:29 ]</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.