Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always on the lookout for good base guns for customizing and am keeping an eye out for a older Colt (non-series 80). But being in CA, I'll need to find a consignment gun in the state :sad: so I want to be prepared if I find one.

I've heard that Series 70 guns are hit and miss and had some problems with hole location, frame fit problems, etc and that pre-70's was the way to go. But are the pre-70's made with softer metal and shouldn't be shot with modern loads or is that just the National Match pistols?

Any opinions or information (or do I really need to ask that)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-06-06 20:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is really nice to have a custom built on a Colt but, in reality the high quality frames and slides built now are light years ahead of anything built by Colt in any year. Save the Colts for collectors, IMNSHO

JJ

·
Registered
401 Posts
Generally, when some one says "pre 70" they are talking about pre MK IV 70 Series guns, specifically commercial Colts.

To me, these are the nicest Colts ever built. The fit/finish was largely done by hand, by true craftsmen, and it shows. The finish was excellent, very nice roll marks that were consistent. True lines between flats/rounds etc..

The preferable pre 70 guns to build a custom on are POST WAR guns. The pre war Commercials are a bit softer, dead soft and unheat treated from what i gather.

From all ive seen the mid 50's to late 60's guns are simply the best imo.

The problem is this--- finding one that hasnt been hacked on. You can find them, but they are generally $1000+/- for one that is 90+%.

The 70 series guns i also like, but from what ive seen you have to watch them closer. Seems the folks putting them together werent the same folks putting the pre 70 Commercials together. This is evidenced by alot of the guns having "wabbles" down the slide flats from an overzealos buffer, lettering/roll marks that are extremely light, in some cases partially missing etc...

I think with any of them, wether pre 70, 70 or even 80, it is more a matter of waiting to find a good one as there can be good and bad in all of the Colts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.