Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have read many pros and cons about pre-fragmented ammo.Probably more cons due to the lack of penetration. However, I was wondering if anyone has actually seen any actual real-life bullet wounds with Blue/Gray Glazers, and/or Quick-Shok?
Thanks

G

·
I have only reviewed photos from three shootings with pre-fragmented ammo:

Shooting #1 an armed drug "king-pin" not my words or term, was shot four times in the chest at a distance of approx. 15 yards by an US Marshall assigned as an unarmed observer/trainer to local forces in Panama with Mag Safe 112gr .45 Colt Agent rounds.
The Marshall shot well and the first pair went into an area less than 2" apart in the center chest just above the sternum, the permanent wound cavity was large enough for the Dr at autopsy to insert his entire hand up to the thumb as he searched for jacket pieces.
The second pair entered the stomach just below the sternum and caused a complete outward rupture of the intestines all rounds stopped in less than 5" of tissues.

Shooting #2, an armed citizen used a single 64gr Mag Safe 9mm defender round from an S&W 3913 to stop a 70lb Doberman from attacking his daughter.
The round entered in the high neck area just under the base of the dog’s skull, the dogs suffered a cranial hemorrhage and the ocular cavities burst outward.
The dog fell face first at the base of the swing set 10” from the daughters feet, it is believed that the daughters scrapped/bleeding knee excited the dog as she had fallen from the swing set onto the gravel just before the dog began growling then came at her.

Shooting #3, a father son hunting team had put away their rifles and gear and went for a short hike to enjoy the beautiful desert sunset when four men came upon the hunter’s pickup truck, they smashed out the side cab windows and seized the hunting teams rifles.
BG #1 began loading the hunter’s rifle as the other BGs began rifling through the truck.
BG #1 was obviously not a skilled or seasoned rifleman as he promptly loaded and fired a round of .270 into the ground at his feet "accidentally" it is believed.
Out of instinct either good or bad depending on your thoughts the hunter heard the shot and ran straight to his truck at a dead sprint. BG #1 not knowing what had happened dropped the rifle out of shock, the hunter arrived just in time as BG#2 had picked up the rifle and was making light of the AD teasing his accomplice they were the last words he ever spoke just as he reloaded a fresh .270 round into the chamber the hunter yelled "Police Hands on your heads".
BG#2 not being very smart spun around with the rifle in hand and saw to his amazement a real life "cowboy" with a SS S&W model 29 .44 Magnum in hand pointed at his chest, what caused him to raise the rifle only god can tell you. A split second later the 4" custom model 29 spoke in fluent tongue with four loud words.
The first 135gr Glaser blue safety slug struck BG#2 in the face just below the right nostril, this caused an instantaneous cranial rupture as BG #1 standing to his right was showered in a soft grey/red mist as over 1,000 foot pounds of energy was transferred into and through BG #2’s face/skull.
This round then exited the skull and shattered the pickups sliding rear window as it did not expand/deform while passing through the skull, it did completely fragment against the truck’s glass.
The second and third rounds entered BG #2s neck/throat just below the Adams apple, one of the rounds exited next to the spine and was recovered partially expanded/opened. The other round entered the spine causing a vertebrae fracture and fragmented fully.
Round #4 struck the right shoulder completely shredded the shoulder muscles. Ligaments, and tendons causing an instantaneous dislocation, this round fully fragmented and caused a wound in the ME's words that closely resembled a rider at high speed falling off of their motorcycle onto the shoulder/arm.
BG's 1, 3, and 4 promptly ceased all hostile action and when the arriving deputies came on scene they immediately recognized the Director of the State Department of Justice who also happened to be a state PPC revolver champion.
Over a decade later he still by the way carries that model 29 while riding the north 40 on his ranch in Montana enjoying retirement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding so quickly.....

I heard a similar incident from a friend of mine that owns an indoor/outdoor range in Texas, and is also a Director for the Texas Dept. of Corrections. He told me that he had an inmate/patient come in that had been shot in the right-buttocks area, with a Glazer Silver .45, fired from a Glock 21. He said that an officer was attempting an arrest when he was fired upon at close range by the suspect. The officer returned fire, and struck the BG as he turned to try and flee. The BG was about 15 feet from the officer when he was struck. Thankfully the officer was not hit. When they brought the BG to the E.R., my friend stated that the surgeon could fit his entire fist into the wound cavity, without having to manipulate/stretch any flesh. Although the BG almost bleed to death, they were able to save his life. However, my friend told me he treats this BG in prison, thus he sees him on a weekly basis, and that this BG now has a permanent colostomy bag due to his injuries.

My question is, with real-life results like this, what is your opionion on pre-frag ammo, and why?

I appreciate your time and input

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best man at my wedding shot a suspect with a .44 mag Glaser Safety slug twice(thankfully not at my wedding). My friend used a SW 629 with a 6" barrel. Distance was about 7 feet. One directly over the heart and the other through the neck. Neither exited the body and the rounds performed exactly as advertised. The coroners report indicated the suspect's heart had to be spooned out as it was shredded. My friend stated the suspect just dropped like a rock.

·
Registered
687 Posts
20 years ago I had this big idea for a pre-frag bullet. I made a bullet mold that molded 1/3 of a bullet, not stacked (that would have been smarter), but a 120-degree wedge, in other words, looking at the bullet from the top it was sliced into three pieces of bullet pie. Total weight was 240 grains, profile was like a truncated cone. The three wedges were held together at the base by a .45 gas check. My hope was for say a 5" pattern at 20 feet.

Holy centrifugal force, Batman. At 15 feet, an IPSC target might walk right through the pattern! It was a sure thing that whatever you aimed at was pretty safe, as the three segments, upon exiting the barrel, immediately went into a wide conical path.

Bullet design 101, "F".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.