Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that is having some trouble with his new rig. Here is a copy of his problem:

I'm a forever .45shooter on my first foray into small bullets.
I built a 1911 in 9x19 with a 6" slide for nra action pistol stock category.
I used an STI slide and STI titanium firing pin.
With standard ball ammo,which is government issue,after one shot a small half moon of brass plugs my primer hole and won't allow a second shot.
Do I need to put in a steel firing pin,use plated primers or what?
Also what kind of mags. work 9x19 in a 1911?Shooting star .38 Super don't seem to hold the round in place due to it's shortness.
Thanks for your help.Richard

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It may be something as simple as a small burr or roughness on the diameter of the firing pin hole. There should be a slight chamfer along the inside circumference of the hole to allow the cartridge to slide up the breach face without snagging on the hole. This chamfer knocks down the hard edge and rounds off the hole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From that descriptive note, I would immediately inspect the spent primers of fired cases for signs of over-pressure ammo. Here's the scenario that came to my mind:

1) Over-pressure round is fired, resulting in primer-cup metal extruding back around the nose of the firing pin.
2)Shell is ejected, leaving primer-cup metal wedged in the firing pin hole.

I'd inspect the primers of fired rounds right now! A pierced primer from an over-pressure round could leave your friend picking pieces of his blown grip panels out of his hands, or worse!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad4u,

I think what you describe is exactly what has been happening.

He is certainly aware of the danger.

The ammo is factory ball. He has some Blazer and some Lawman to try out next.

We need to figure out what the cause of the over pressure is.

G

·
Ti firing pins promote primer flow back. you guys are right on, the primer is struck by the firing pin, but because the fp weighs 40% less it (and probably the anvil inside) are pushed the primer back into the firing pin hole. the barrel unlocking shear the primer off flush with the bolt face. this blocks the firing pin from giving a good hit on the next round and the firing pin is 40% lighter so it has more trouble as it is an inertia firing pin. LIGHTLY polishing around the firing pin hole is a good idea for this and for feeding.
geo ><>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.