Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new here & post very little - only because I learn a lot more reading than I can offer. I have a question and would like to solicit some advice from the pistolsmiths here.

I have a Kimber Ultra CDP which was a birthday gift from my new wife some months ago. In approximately 350 total rounds which have been a mixture of Premium HP & "range" ammo from various manufacturers, the only malfunction I have experianced is premature slide lock with 230g FMJ loads. From what I have read, this is caused by the fatter bullet engaging the tab of the slide lock as the cartridge moves forward a little in the mag as a result of increased recoil in a small pistol. (In my 5" Classic Stainless, this has never happened.) The magazine is a Kimber, the one shipped with the gun, & also the one for my Classic Stainless.

Upon inspection of the slide lock, I noticed what appeared to be burrs along some edges on the tab that engages the magazine. Using a microscope & diamond files, I carefully removed those burrs & smoothed out the beveled edges a little. The premature locks still occur.

Should I machine a small detent in the slide lock for the plunger? Would that be a better alternative than some judicious filing of the tab to remove excess material (still leaving enough to engage the mag & operate as it should)? If a detent is a good idea, how deep should it be & would a diameter of about 1/16" be the right size? Or, is there something else that could be causing the malfunction that I should consider?

The gun is still covered under warranty, & I will contact Kimber if a simple fix doesn't alieviate the problem. But I would still like to ask for your opinions on this.

Sorry for such a long post for what might be a very simple question. I hope I haven't wasted your time, but I do value the information that I learn from here.

Thank you all,

Kevin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevinch on 2001-06-23 23:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blackjack,

I don't think it is, as it does not occur in my 5". When I use those mags in the CDP, it still happens.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kevinch on 2001-06-25 10:22 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.