Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the slide not fully locking back after the last round is fired. This, so far at least, is only happening with some magazines.
Recently I bought two Wilson 47Ds. One failed to lock back the slide and the other was causing FTFs. I returned them to Wilson and asked for an exchange of #47s.
Today, I took those two replacement mags, along with others, to the range and found that I was having slide lock problems with the two new mags. Instead of complete failure to lock back, I was getting partial slide closing. Upon close inspection, I found that the slide was stuck scraping the top of the follower. The result was a partially open slide and no engagement of the slide lock.
Then, I also noticed that while using a brand new Wolff magazine, things were not all well, either. This time the slide was not stuck on the follower. The slide had locked back, but the lock lever was not fully seated in the slide notch, only partially.
With other magazines the gun locked back normally.
Is this a magazine problem or a gun problem?
The gun is a Wilson CQB with close to 1000 rounds through it. I was using factory, high-powered ammo, standard 18 pound stock Wilson spring and no shok-buff.
Thanks for any and all help.
Charles

· Registered
167 Posts
Odds are that your slide stop is bad. Take a known good one from another gun and try it out. Don't use a Kimber stop or one that's been carved on. Just a plain ol stop that works with a bunch of mags in another gun.

This is easy to check. If it solves the problem it shouldn't be any problem for Wilson to send you a new Slide Stop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JiminCA on 2001-08-30 13:16 ]</font>

· Registered
23 Posts
If you let Dane Burns or anyone else tinker with your Wilson Combat pistol, you will void your warranty. Resolving this issue will be simplified if you will call Wilson Combat at 1-800-955-4856. They will be more than willing to help you.

· Registered
136 Posts
I must concur with the observation of slide stop possibly being slightly out of spec. Sounds trivial but it happens, they seem to be right but are just a hair short on the engagement surface of the slide stop.

Check with the crew at Wilson.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, after another visit to the range, I am also having FTFs (catching on the barrel hood with Wilson-made ammo). This puppy is going back to Wilson ASAP.
I am disappointed. Hopefully, their service will match their reputation.

· Registered
272 Posts
kshutt, as a Wilson owner, I am real familiar with Wilson's warranty policy - and their service (fast & great when I had to have an ambi. safety installed on my Protector). Charles' postings exhibit a (natural) reluctance to send his pistol back to the manufacturer for perhaps no reason.
Rather than wonder whether or not the slide stop is bad, etc., somebody like Dane could look at the parts, shoot the gun, and tell you what the problem was.

Now,Charles could do what I always recommend when someone has a problem with a new firearm (box the gun up and send it back to the manufacturer), but his letter would contain his explanation of the problem and his conjectures, and not the informed opinion/analysis of a master 1911 gunsmith. This might cost him a few bucks and/or beers, but he would also see some REAL nice pistolas and maybe a nice guy and gunsmith, too. (Dane, you expecting company anytime soon?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-09-07 20:57 ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.