Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a private seller, how would I go about selling a handgun to someone out of state? I understand that I would have to ship to that buyer's FFL dealer. Can I ship it to that dealer directly, and if so, do I just ask the FFL for a copy of his license? Or would I need to go through my FFL dealer?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had some dealers tell me it had to from FFL to FFL, and some that say, it only needs to go to the FFL in the state which it is being transferred. I called the BATF once and they said FFL to FFL. To be safe, I'd go from FFL to FFL.

614 Posts
I always have the person that buys the gun from me send a copy of his ffl with the Check or money order and I bring it to a local gunshop and have them mail it to the person buying the gun or their ffl dealer if they don`t have a ffl for a fee of $25.00 plus shipping.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The following is from the ATF web-site:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

If the sale is to a buyer in another state, it must be shipped to an FFL (licensee) in that state (and that dealer handles the transfer paperwork). There is no requirement for it to be sent from an FFL. Only that it must be received by an FFL.

·
Registered
403 Posts
TaxPhd,

I read that also and asked them about it. I was told that this meant we could send our guns to FFL holders to have work done on them or for warranty repairs.
I was told by the agent that transfering to someone else was a different matter. If this is an eroneous assumption by the agent then it is a widely held one among them. I am aware that this seems in direct conflict with what is written. I figure it's best to err on the side of caution with these guys.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Shipping:

Unless you are an FFL, AND have the permission of the postmaster, you CANNOT legally mail a handgun.

Use common carrier, air freight (their rules, because their employees were stealing the guns); do NOT put the full name of the maker if shipping back to factory (i.e., "S,R & Co." for Sturm, Ruger; "S&W Co." for Smith & Wesson, etc.)

Ship ONLY to an FFL for legal transfer to the out-of-state buyer. Get a signed copy of the license before you ship.

CYAWP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.