Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention,
I feel the need to comment on something that is not added into the cost/versus anything equation and it is so often over looked.

Some years ago a new very expensive range and gunsmith facitlity was built with a flashy new building here in the PA area not far from the Philadelphia suburbs. The range owners were a local well known father and son team and they started building an ISPC following and they held numerous matches at their range.
Within a space of only several months this smith began to offer some very impressive "demo" pistols, we all "knew" them as shooters and range members.
Well to make this post short, I promptly opened my checkbook and paid the "deposit" on two custom 1911 pistols, then a custom revolver, then a custom rifle and several pieces of leather gear as this range made claim as an alleged distributor for a well known national holstermaker.
Well time passed and this business closed, I like many others were left with equipment that did not work and money paid for pistols that I never recieved, I lost substantially more money than Dane, Larry, Richard, George, Teddy or any other reputable professional smith would have charged me.
My point is this, through all of the flaming posts that I have seen on this and other boards these guys are still here, they are available to speak with consult with and I have seen only the highest levels of professionalism from them and yes, for the naysayers I still beleive my statement applies equally.
I have yet to see a single person tell me that Dane Burns, Richard Heinie, Lou Alessi, George Smith, Teddy Jacobson, Mark Garrity, Mike Benedict or any of the professional makers/builders on this sight have cheated them, lied to them, or failed to make something "Right".
Think about that, how many of us have actually met Richard Heinie, Dane Burns (examples only, no inference is meant by not mentioning your name)? Would you read anything else on the internet or even a conventional magazine and feel complelled to sit down and write any other business a check for $1,2,3,4,5, or $6K, I don't even like to use my credit card to order magazines...
To me that says an awful lot and I truly value them all, please keeep it up guys and please coninue to elevate our defensive/target/hunting/working/collecting pistols to the next levels, you are appreciated.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well spoken David :smile:

·
Registered
821 Posts
David, Thank you for saying that. We make our living in an industry that is essentially tiny compared to other professions.
It doesn't take long for the 'word' to get around when one of our group doesn't treat a customer fairly, or with complete honesty. In the 30 years I have been making holsters, I have gotten to know many other holster makers, custom gunsmiths, parts suppliers, etc. I must say that for the most part these people are honest hard working, and devoted to making the best product they can. In the past, I worked very closely with Charlie Kelsey when he owned Devel (Still talk with him regularly), the people at Detonics, ASP, and more recently, Richard Heinie, Dane Burns, Teddy Jacobson, and Kahr Arms. I can honestly say, it has always been a pleasure to work with these folks, and would trust any of them with anything I own.
In a business where one's word means everything, I would take any one of these people at their word, and never think twice.
I have a great amount of respect for the people in this small industry who believe that their word is their bond. It may be old fashioned, but to some, it's still a way of life.
Thanks again for bringing this up.
Lou

·
Registered
23 Posts
David, thanks for your well penned comment. As a newer member of this forum and someone who is still learning the skills to become a better and more resposible shooter, the interaction I,ve witnessed from these gentlemen and the level of professionalism they display is truly a rarity in our modern world. The opportunity to learn and communicate with individuals who still do business based on sound values, honor and keeping your word is a pleasure.

I have a current project with one of these gentlemen. My selection of this smith was influenced by his attitude, business culture and reputation, as much as the skills evidenced in his work. The agreement for the work was done over the phone with no written contract or personal meeting between us-this is truly a "fiduciary position of trust".

My own work is full of bombastic legality and endless contractual permutations. It was a refreshing slap in the face to do business by relying on a man's word. Most importantly, I felt comfortable with this business arrangement.

David, your posts are wide ranging in their breath of topics and timed well.

Keep it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
David, I'm pretty sure of the gunshop of which you speak.They built guns for me that didn't run, always jamming. They always claimed that it was never their fault and they would work on the gun to get it right, never got it right.I don't know which one was the bigger crook father or son.Many shooters were ripped off by this shop with bad guns and there using of used parts when they built new guns.There are probably still guys trying to hunt them down to get money back with no luck.It's a shame that the range was run in that fashion. I still see red when I think of them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Damn you David! You took the words right out of my mouth! Well,
not really because you are more eloquent/patient than I. These
guys(Smiths/Leathersmiths) are taking time out of their busy
schedule and/or homelife to help the likes of us....let's give
them a round of applause!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well said , while sometimes I disagree with some of the rhetoric I would not hesitate to hand over a check (if it were good ) to any of the smiths on this site. While egos sometimes over inflate I truly believe the posters on this site strive for excellence and honesty and I am glad you reminded me.
Thanks
Gerald

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David DiFabio, I concur with your thoughts. I can think of no other manufacturer/service area that offers the quality and service that the firearms industry does. Further, I feel the general quality of the firearms that are made today are far superior to those made in prior generations. Do I have examples? Yes, two come to mind. The Colt 1911A1 and BHP MKIII both work very well out of the box. Once again, thanks for your comments. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On 2001-06-06 09:45, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
I have a great amount of respect for the people in this small industry who believe that their word is their bond. It may be old fashioned, but to some, it's still a way of life.
Absolutely Lou. :smile:

David, also well stated.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Although it's difficult to remember sometimes, there are REAL people attached to these names that we see so often...I agree.
We don't spend enough time saluting these folks that give their lives for something we all love so much.

Thanks to All!

:wink:

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-07 15:46 ]</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shooter JD,
The real shame of that incident is that the son although not a seemingly bad guy is still working in the firearms business and has continued to have bad business dealings all across the area.
*Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
474 Posts
David- Absolutely well spoken, Sir!

And Mr. Alessi- If you ever give up your current vocation (I certainly hope you don't) I think you could open a very successful Academy instructing Gentlemanly Behavior and Civility.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please guys don't thank me, thank the people mentioned in my first posting.
I believe I am working on thanking them with my patronage. From the pistolsmith.com crew I have purchased from Terry Peters, I have a holster prototype in the works with Lou Alessi, I own a few dozen Garrity holsters. One of my pistols is on it's way to Teddy Jacobson,I just placed an order for one of Lamey's Bowies, I will be going to Tom givens winter match, not to mention a few dozen other IDPA and steel matches. I have a Heinie 10mm that will be returning for an overhaul (after 10yrs), I have a "full house" Vickers pistol due in 4 years, three pistols at EGW, and hopefully (if Dane ever follows up with me) a good idea for a BCP custom compact 1911 project.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
What is your phone #, young man :grin:

You already have mine!

Geeze after ACTUALLY reading this thread I have to say thanks David. Really that is an awfully nice thing to say about all of us...well REALLY NICE to say about Lou anyway :grin:

I am thrilled to hear that the idea of this forum is actually succeeding. Like you said the "crew" deserves the hand.

From me to you guys..thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-11 21:39 ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.