Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all excited about the TRP and Trophy Match until I saw the checkering on the front strap. It's 20 lpi and really bothers me. For the gurus... Can it be knocked down, or taken off and redone 30 lpi? The radius is all wrong anyway, and as thick as it is, couldn't it be reradiused, and recheckered?

Just a thought....

--Mark

·
Registered
581 Posts
The option of getting rid of 20LPI and redoing it with 30 LPI is a bad one. Borderline impossible. Sure, it could be done, but there would be a lot of welding involved. Just get what you want and call it good.

If you don’t like the looks of 20 LPI, I don’t know what to say. If it’s too sharp for you, your hands will toughen up. Anything less than 20 LPI doesn’t do anything for my hands. It isn’t aggressive enough. 25 is marginal. 30 and up might as well be skate tape. 20 LPI will tear up clothes though.

The calluses are from dry firing. Really…

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I figured it was a bad idea, but I just don't like the way it feels. Sure I could get used to it, but I really like my Kimber Gold Match and the 30 lpi checking I have on it.

I've got this strange urge to get another Springfield, and I like everything about these two except the checkering.

--Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
The front strap on any 1911 can be serrated. Serrations allow more flexability when indexing the weapon from the holster. The hand just slips into position yet it grips upon the draw. It also helps during recoil without dammage to the shooter. Calthrop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The first time I picked up a TRP I was surprised how it felt. After reading so much about how sharp 20lpi checkering was, I expected it to feel much worse. I like the way my 30lpi checkering feels on my CQB, but if we're really talking about needing extra grip due to wet or bloody hands, I think 20lpi wins hands down. It sure does grip!

G

·
Johnny has a point,
I have some experience with the TRP that has also reaffirmed my opinion, I installed a Barsto .40 Super barrel in my SS TRP and although initially my hand bled during a long range session I am quickly becoming attached to the "sharp" checkering.
I am working with some 200gr loads that are pretty "snotty" and the checkering is invaluable in providing a strong grip that is very stable

I actually prefer the pistol to stay "locked" in my hand and I do not want the ability to shift the pistol in my grip, I have come to disagree 100% with people who want to be able to "change" their grips while firing.

Those who prefer the feature need to shoot a muddy/slippery gun sometime, acquiring a solid shooting grip is a fundamental part of the shooting discipline and I do not want allowances built into my guns, it is my opinion only.

Always test your equipment and use what works for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.