Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, but this thread has little to do with 1911s.
I recall a thread a while back about wine and watches, thought you guys might be able to help. As my father noticed and decided to keep my Datejust, I am looking to purchase a new watch. I can't afford a Patek and do not want another Rolex. I am leaning toward a B&M Riviera. What watches would you suggest? My price range is $800-$3000. I hope you guys don't mind me using forum space to ask, but I was wondering what you might suggest. Thanks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I personally like the Omega Seamaster Professional. The older one with the skeleton hand and not the newer model.

G

·
Sean,
The thread can be found here:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... orum=23&48

My recommendation would be for a newer watch I picked up that has quickly become my favorite.
The Breitling Chronomat GT, It is very smooth and very comfortable and has replaced my submariners as my favorite.
The pricing is very reasonable @ $2,600.00 cash out the door at my local dealer.
I really like this model and I purchased a matching ladies model for Mrs. DiFabio.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I've had a couple of Rolexs. Omega, SM and GMTs are the best buys out there, IMO. No matter what your choice, I would hit up timezone.com and do some serious research and price checks there.

Hard to swallow a Sub (as in ROLEX Stainless steel Submariner) or YM (Rolex Yachtmaster in stainless and platnium) these days when they are pushing 4K (sub) to 7K (YM) and a SM (OMEGA Seamaster stainless or titanium) or GMT(Omega Seamaster GMT, stainless) can be had for $900 or in gold for 2K (SM or GMT).
All new or like new in box.

You can get a lot of watch for 2K.

(editing done for the bone heads that are too lazy to look around the web or have no idea that Rolex isn't the ONLY maker of a GMT :roll: )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-13 01:30 ]</font>

G

·
For a more sedate dress watch I really like the D&S Aerodyn Chronometer.

Still very affordable @ 2,900.00 and able to function at a casual dinner at Mortons and the dress functions in black tie.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello Sean I had a datejust stolen about 20 yrs ago and did not want to go back to a Rolex as any one knows what they are and they make great thief bait. I chose an Omega constellation (still have it,runs great )in gold and stainless, I think it was called the manhattan back then. The latest to catch my eye has been an Eberhard aquadate it has better water resist than the Omega but still looks pretty nice , But the B&M you wrote of is also a nice watch that deserves a closer look. Regardless of which you choose I would keep the price down to 1500$ or so and then buy an Eterna super kontiki to go with it for rough use
Good luck
Gerald

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not to put retail shop dealers out of business, but let me recommend you go to timezone.com and look at the for sale forum. Any watch you want, many new, some at better prices than you will see if you look a long time. If you can wait, a couple of days before Christmas [after Christmas shopping is done] there are some outstanding deals.

Highly recommend my Omega Seamaster GMT with rubber strap.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On 2001-07-12 21:07, Dane Burns wrote:
Hard to swallow a Sub or YM these days when they are pushing 4K to 7K and a SM or GMT can be had for $900 or in gold for 2K.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-12 21:29 ]</font>
Dane, are you talking about the used market? A new GMT II in stainless with oyster band retails for $3500. If you have a line on one for $900, my check is in the mail

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spackler4013 on 2001-07-12 22:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
821 Posts
Geeze Dane, Where do you find a Rolex GMT Master in gold for 2K? I have one, and wear it every day. Have been for the last 7 or eight years. They don't keep the best time, but they sure do take a beating. Mine still looks new, and has been whacked into machinery, door frames, etc..At those prices, I could afford to buy another one!
Luigi :grin:

·
Registered
383 Posts
My second watch, and it's a real favorite is my Omega Speedmaster Professional MKII. NOT a small watch, bit it sure makes a statement!

I got mine new in '72 and it still looks it thanks to a 2 week trip back to Switzerland in '82. This involved a torrid summer affair with a most attractive swiss miss. A watch, any watch, is but a timepiece without some history to it. LOL

My daily watch is the old standby Rolex Two Tone Datejust that I romanced and whinned my wife into buying for me many years ago. That involved some serious romancing in Aspen and shameful oggling at jewelery store windows.

As for a nice wine this time of year, I like a Wehlener Sonnenuhr slightly chilled. OK fine, so I like great German whites, we all have something we keep in the closet about ourselves. LMAO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Sean,

The guys have given you great advise. Go to Timezone and have a look. With up $3000.00 to spend you have MANY watches to choose from. Most of the preowned Rolex, Omega and IWC sport models are in your price range on Timezone Sales Corner. Take your time and have fun.

Good Luck,

Rick Tucci

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rick Tucci on 2001-07-13 00:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
On 2001-07-12 22:53, Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Geeze Dane, Where do you find a Rolex GMT Master in gold for 2K?
Luigi :grin:
Good thing you can make holsters Luigi! 'Cause now I know you can't read :lol:

Hey Lou what did you really use those extra gold links for in Bangkok in '65?

BTW the Omegas, so far...out of two GMTs (OMEGA GMTs), are keeping better time than any of the Rolexs have...one date just and the Subs, including one less than a year old.

New OMEGA GMT after 30 days is consistant at +1 sec a day. The Omega bracelet makes the Rolex's look like a Timex.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-13 01:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might want to check out the Paneri Luminor. Its big, bad, and ugly..I mean unique. Just kidding, these watches are pretty hot right now on TZ and go for around 1800 to 2500.

I think Dane was refering to the Omega GMT's not the Rolex's. They are an awesome buy for sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a question I can't find the answer to on omega's website. Do their watches have a self winding mechanism like my submariner or will I need batteries. I am refering to the seamaster pro with the blue face.
Sorry for the basic question but I am curious

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
They have both rookie:)

But the Omega SeaMaster's of choice are the autos...like your Rolex Submariner. At under a grand shopping smart they are really a best buy.

Harley gonna buy the James Bond watch :grin:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Dane,,You got me (pecker head)..Never gave it a thought about the Omega, and I used to own one, DUH! And don't be asking questions about stuff that my wife can read.. I'll be up all night having to answer questions about past activities! :grin:
Luigi

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.