Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured you were just as likely to know as anyone else, and the gov't site isnt too user friendly(AT ALL). Anyways, I was wondering, are 30 rounder magazines "banned" or "prohibited". In other words, is it at all possible for civilians to own them (in Canada).
thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After even more readin;, ive found that its a 5 round capacity for any autoloading type long arm...now what i'm not entirely sure is if it is completely illegal to own 30 round mags, or just "restricted"; which in Canada esentially means even more tightly controlled and only permitted to those with an addtional restricted firearms lisence, very restricted to where you can transport it, only at certain times, etc...etc...etc...
(like all pistols)
ughh....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Burrahobbit on 2001-08-03 23:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Burrahobbit, please - call me Shane!

Stephen is correct. Non-LEO/non-military cannot own any hi-cap mags. 10 rounds is the maximum.

Be aware of the difference of terms that our government likes to befuzzle us with...prohibited vs. restricted.

Restricted applies to all handguns meeting the Canadaian criteria (not .25, .32 or .380 and barrel longer than 4 1/4", with 10 rd. max. mag.). They are legal to own if you have a valid FAC (Firearms Aquisition Certificate) for ownership/possession of "restricted" weapons.

Prohibited covers all full-auto weapons and hi-cap mags, and the miscellaneous stuff that our government has decided is simply too dangerous for us to own :roll: (ie, snub nose revolvers, or any pistol with a barrel of less than 4 1/4", rifles with barrels less than 16", etc.)

LEO and military CAN get approval to own/purchase the above prohibited items. Civilians and non-LEO cannot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it is 10 for long arms? Interesting, thanks Shane!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Burrahobbit on 2001-08-06 17:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I've got a semi-related question. This sounds odd i'm sure, but are they're any decent long arms (ie not a bolt action rifle, or shotgun) that can be had in Canada?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well Burra, there are LOTS of long arms that are still legal. It might be easier if you mentioned which one(s) you are particularily interested in!

Your local gun shop should also be able to tell you what's legal and what's not.

Remember, if you have an FAC to purchase restricted (not prohibited) weapons, that will increase your options as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, the Valtro PM5 Tactical shotgun with the detachable magazine looks pretty sharp. Does any one have any experience with this shotgun?

·
Registered
19 Posts
IF you have a semi-auto rimfire rifle, (eg. Ruger10/22) you are allowed a 25 round magazine.
Don't forget that rifles with a barrel lenght less than 18 1/2" is also considered restricted.

ATT's are not as restrictive as you may think. I just recieved mine valid to the end of my current PAL licence (3 more years) for transport of any and all Restricted or Prohibited guns from my home to within a 300 km radius for shooting at approved ranges or shooting events, from 00:00-00:00, Seven days a week. Yes that's right 24/7 for 3 years!! I only applied for an ATT for 3 of my handguns, from my house to the range, which is 80 kms away, on saturdays from 07:00-17:00. Amazing how that was expanded by the alberta CFO office.

I think under the old system you would be hard pressed to get such a generous ATT from the police department.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: canuck on 2001-08-08 02:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-08-08 02:23, canuck wrote:
ATT's are not as restrictive as you may think.
You are correct Authorization To Transport are not that difficult to get, and they are very generous with the time and travel conditions.

I think you have missed the BIGGER point. With all the restrictions now (and down the road), we are not going to be able to OWN anything to worry about transporting them. Do not praise our government for a leniant policy on transprorting, when with the other hand they are moving towards gun confiscation. Remember, by 2002, ALL FIREARMS (restricted, prohibited or general) must be registered. They know where you live and they know what you own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.