Pistol Smith Forum banner

Question regarding extractors

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jamie Dolinar 
#1 ·
My new (slightly used ) model 36 runs like a swiss watch.

it eats and ejects everything i run through it from LSWC reloads to Hydra shocks to +p loads. I have had a few FTE but I am assuming those were ammo related with the light reloads.

My question is on the last bullet in each of the 4 mags i have (all have the extensions not sure of the maker right this minute) hits me between the eyes. This happens 8-10 times with any ammo.

The gun had about 400 rounds when i bought it and now it is at maybe 900 ish.

Can I tweak the exctractor like a 1911 or what??

Any help is needed thanks

Jamie
Rolex Dr.

#3 ·
And if you're getting hit between the eyes with the last "bullet" from each mag, you must have a tough noggin! I'd opine that all of your cases would be ejected in the wrong place if the ejector were the problem. Could be you need new mag springs and/or followers.

#4 ·
thanks guys

Thanks Guys

I have tried new mags, old mags with new springs and followers, different shooters, new old different recoil springs

I think my next try will be a new extractor
should i buy a Kimber or buy a better one Wilson or brown??

I am also thinking of tweaking the extractor by shaping the end as per many books and articles i have seen (but i will wait until I have a back up)

there is no ryhme or reason to my ejection pattern except the last case usually comes straight back at my head

Another idea is maybe the ejection port or the actual ejector

JAmie

#8 ·
i think you may be correct

I have thought that about the grip

so we played with it by haveing some one else load the pistol with x number orf rounds then i would shoot it and not know if it had 3 or 6 rounds and that seemed to always catch me by suprise and semed to fix the problem

Jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.