Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished Randy's 3 day Tactical Handgun class. Randy is definitely a first class instructor. Not only was he able to diagnose our shooting and help us improve, he taught us how to analyze our own shooting so we can work on improving our skills on our own time.

The class consisted of mostly experienced shooters so we were able to cover a great deal of material and shooting.

If I was asked to name the single most important thing I learned from the class, I'd have to say understanding the importants of the basics (front sight, suprise trigger break, stay on front sights).

We all realize the value of the basics but many, including myself (not anymore) underestimate how important it really is. A more accurate description of the basics really should be the word essentials. Even though we shot at moving targets, shot while moving, in lowlight, with flashlights at covered moving targets...etc, we were able to hit our targets because Randy had drummed the basics into our heads.

If anyone is looking for a handgun training course I could not recommend Randy's class highly enough. Also, because of his modesty, Randy will probably be blushing and kicking his feet from ready this. Don't let his low key manner fool you into thinking he isn't a highly competent instructor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Randy Cain Tactical Handgun 101

All

We have just opened one slot in the Tactical Handgun 101 At Southern Exposure, Lakeland, Fl. Aug 31 - Sept. 2.

We also have slots available for the two day Tactical Handgun course Sept. 7 & 8.

Slots are also available for the Dec. 2 - 4 class. All at Southern Exposure.

Please see www.guntactics.com for a description of the courses.

If interested contact me or Randy Cain via email.

be safe irv

·
Registered
47 Posts
Howdy Irv. Nice to see you show yourself here.

Randy has had several reviews on this forum. One of the most recent was one by Andy Reed. I put my $0.02 in when I see them come along.

For those that don't know Irv, he is a professional trainee(among other things). He's seen them all, and knows of what he speaks.

Randy is the man.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve

I guess I am sort of a professional trainee after more than 100 firearms classes or perhaps I don't learn very well and I'm a little slow. :)

I consider Randy Cain the finest trainer today and that is why I try to get as many of his classes at Southern Exposure as possible. I also bring in a few other instructors from time to time who are also excellent to bring a different perspective to the problem.

The important thing is for us to get quality training and not sub standard training. It cost no more to go first class.

Hopefully I will be training with you some more the latter part of the year.

be safe irv

·
Registered
481 Posts
If the king of negativity (me) can't find anything bad to say about a guy there probably isn't anything bad to be said :) The more I think about the class, the more I realize that I've never dealt with a better firearms trainer. Aside from his teaching skill he's a class act. He didn't have that "I'm better than you" attitude that some trainers seem to have. I can't say enough good about him or his class. I can't wait to get to another one.

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Andrew

You have now know a great firearms trainer. My only wish was that he would promote himself a little more like many others do. The world is finding out about Randy Cain but slowly by word of mouth. He probably doesn't even know this forum has anything to say about him.

He is the only instructor that I have met that doesn't have an ego. He is so sure of himself and what he teaches that he won't even argue with others about the doctrine he preaches. A good discussion is something he will relish but not an arguement.

Best of all his classes are selling out and I have been turning people away. If you are ever in central Fla. and need a class check his schedule at www.guntactics.com . I would like to meet you and your negativity. :>)

Anyway, I concur with everything you have said and I am sure Randy would send his thanks if he knew.

be safe irv

·
Registered
481 Posts
irv said:
He is the only instructor that I have met that doesn't have an ego. He is so sure of himself and what he teaches that he won't even argue with others about the doctrine he preaches. A good discussion is something he will relish but not an arguement.
Hello Irv,
I noticed that about him at dinner the day before the class, he wouldn't say anything bad about anything. And being the evil kid I am I was prodding him too :)

I can't wait to hear what the other Andy has to say after he gets back from the class this weekend in New Mexico. I'm sure he'll have some good stuff to share with us all.

It'd be nice to take a class down in FL, I'll have to look at his class sched. and see if I can figure something out.

Back to my hole,
Andy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well....someone made sure I found out about this thread. :-?

I used to visit here often but have been busy trying to write a book lately.
As Duke Ellington would say, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."

I'm dumbfounded by all the kind words.

I just checked into a motel somewhere in the middle of Oklahoma enroute to the New Mexico class. See ya soon in Las Cruces!

I would take issue with one statement above.
I'm NOT sure of everything I teach. I constantly question it. But all I can do is teach what I BELIEVE to be the best way to do things. I suppose if I had all the world's problems solved it would cease to be fun.

Anyway, I appreciate the positive comments from each of you. Now cut it out. There's no way I can live up to it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, Randy, if you're coming through Albuquerque on your way to Las Cruces tomorrow, give me a call. I'll be writing a report on today's festivities tomorrow, but if I can get it finished quickly enough, maybe we can convoy down together if the timing's right.

BTW, I've just found out that on Priceline.com, one can get a really good hotel/room for $25.00 a night in Las Cruces. I'll send you a pvt. msg. w/my cell phone #.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WOW! :eek:
You all nailed it right on the head!
We finished Randy's 3 day class here in Las Cruces N.M. and almost all the previous remarks were right on the money...the only comment I'd have to disagree with was Randy's ..about not living up to all the good things said about him.
He did.
The class was superb! Randy is a teacher!
Andy put it in perspective on the "Training Events" section.
Andy is not only articulate...the cat CAN SHOOT! :eek:

See ya
K.C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.