Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just received one of the new SV Open guns. I have mixed feelings about it right now.

I need to just focus on my Beretta till next week. Then I can play.

When I get my new SV running again, don’t ask, I will post a full report.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup, sure do. Spent the last few months getting this sucker ready to go. It uses a Briley 38 super linkless, ramped barrel and spherical bushing. It has been utterly reliable in the few hundred round I've put thru it so far no malfs. of any kind. I used to shoot only in IPSC limited class with a .45, but decided I had to try the racegun thing. I just love the way the slide cycles straight back, no flip at all, it looks some kind of machine! I get to try it in a match for the first time this Sunday.

The first pic shows my first homemade Optima mount. It didn't work too well so I just used a piece of Weaver rail and the adapter that came with the sight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Racegun, that would be the pistol that goes to NWCS Race on Sunday or the NBSR on Saturday.

If I am going to tie up $2K+ the firearm should have a box detachable magazine, be gas operated, chambered in 308Win, and say Springfield Armory on it.

Racegun, way to specialized toy to waste money on. Too ammon pickey, can't carry on a daily basis, weighs to much, over priced, can't come up with any good reasons to buy or consider such a techo-geek kinda firearm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
abnranger,

Are you serious???

Let's look at your choice (I'm guessing M1-A from the description, right?) in light of the negatives that you put forth.

"Way to specialized toy to waste money on."

The same could be said of an M1-A. Primary purpose would seem to be high-power competition. Too heavy, too much recoil for run-n-gun tactical type competition (this game is dominated by AR-15's), it's found lacking in precision/sniper type competitions (these games are dominated by bolt guns). Sure, you could hunt with it, but how many people do? Not many. Seems like a pricey, specialized piece of equipment to me.

"Too ammon (sic) pickey."

This totally depends on the gun. My race gun isn't ammo picky, yours might be. And an M1-A is not free from this potential problem.

"Can't carry on a daily basis."

Are people carrying M1-A's on a daily basis in Pitt.?

"Weighs to (sic) much."

It weighs less than an M1-A, but I don't think that was your point. A Lightweight Commander also weighs less than an M1-A. So what?

"Over priced."

Compared to a Lorcin? A Davis? Or overpriced compared to a custom-built piece of equipment that will allow you compete to the maximum potential of your skill, without being hindered by inferior equipment? I don't get your point here.

"Can't come up with any good reasons to buy or consider such a techo-geek kinda firearm."

Active IPSC open-class shooters will routinely put 10,000-50,000 (or more) rounds through their guns per year. Will your M1-A see that kind of use? Most won't. As far a bang for the buck, a race gun seems like a pretty good way to go. And if you want to compete in open class, you need the right kind of gun. Sure, you could do it with a stock 1911, but that isn't the way to win.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's the really nice thing about 1911's. They can be a purely mil-spec functional tools or a really nice toys. Some of us like one and not the other.

That's a fine lookin' race gun. I bet it is fun to shoot. Just not my style. I have my toys as well, so do not think I am picking on it because I am not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is my .45 racegun mainly use it in Bianchi still need to fit wings so I can fly :smile:para p14 frame,Barsto barrel,Briley spherical bushing comp and slide.
This was with the 6moa C-More but its not precise enough difficult to pick up dot sometimes etc.

So I changed it to a 3moa Aimpoint.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caver on 2001-12-07 21:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caver on 2001-12-07 21:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Too ammon pickey, can't carry on a daily basis, weighs to much, over priced, can't come up with any good reasons to buy or consider such a techo-geek kinda firearm.
I dunno, Raceguns are pretty kewl. I wouldn't mind owning one. Be fun to bring it out to play every once in a while.

Always wanted to make a G17 open gun in 9x21. Maybe someday I will. Not the most competitive rooney gun, but would be fun.

And that is the point of the racegun. It isn't real life, it isn't practical, concealable, or often reliable enough to carry. It's just fun. And FWIW, with all the tactical this and that stuff I'm doing lately, sometimes I need to remind myself exactly why I started doing this. Not as work, but play.

But everyone's mileage does vary here, which is why it's so much fun!

Though Scott is right, I'd buy an M1A first :smile:
Ted

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the new Masterpiece Series SV race gun in .38 super. It has a polyframe, titanium compensator, and the slide is shortened 1/2 inch, so it's very light. It has the Scheuman tribrid barrel which, including the compensator means 9 (count em) ports on the top. This equates to alot of noise, and alot of muzzle blast, but zero muzzle flip. The dot just doesn't move. Very, very fun to shoot. I'm finally in hoser heaven.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.