Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year we host a championship match on our modern indoor range in Memphis (see rangemaster.com for details), during February when most outdoor shooting has been curtailed for the winter. For the past four years this has been the IDPA Winter Indoor Championship. In 2002 we will host a more tactically oriented match, NOT an IDPA match, although we will borrow the IDPA equipment divisions and classes for simplicity.
The match will include a dinner and tactical conference, with a number of well known trainers in attendance.
The match will take advantage of the indoor facility and be run in low light throughout, and all from concealment. Targets will include a lot of 3-D humanoid reactive targets, electronic pop-up targets, and more. This is always a great, fun match and a good learning experience. The tactical conference alone will be worth the trip.
This year's match is by invitation. Invitations went out this past Monday, and you should have one by now. If you did not get one, well it sucks to be you! :smile:
Really, if you didn't get one and should have, it was because we did not have a snail mail address for you. To request an invitation contact me at [email protected].
Match will be 2-3 Feb 2002 in Memphis. I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great idea. Have you considered teaching a course in the days immediately before or after the match to maximize the usefulness of the trip, or would that be too much work? Thanks for the early notification... my schedule gets made way in advance, so I like a lot of notice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, we have thought of having a class connected to the match, but the logistics don't work well. It takes all day Friday to lay out the props, pop-ups, etc. for the match, and it is hard to get people to take a class in the middle of the week.
We always announce this match far in advance so people can plan ahead. It is ALREADY 25% filled. It will be full by October 1st, so hustle your entries in, Guys.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I figured as much, Tom. Unless you were going to teach a class that utilized the props for the match it would be hard to have them back to back. I checked Mid-South's web site, but it doesn't look like they are likely to offer anything at that time, unless I get a group together. I don't think I want to go to that much trouble.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a reminder to everyone- over six months ago the dates of this event changed from 2-3 Feb to 9-10 Feb to avoid a conflict with the SHOT Show. Several of us have to attend SHOT.

Also, there are eight free seminars being presented throughout this event, by such trainers as Andy Stanford, Marty Hayes, Jim Higginbotham, Chris Edwards, and others.

We look forward to seeing some of the list members here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The match/conference was a big success. Seventy-three shooters from as far as Ohio, Virginia, S. Carolina, Florida, Texas, etc completed the match. The classroom was filled to capacity for a number of excellent lecture presentations by Jim Higginbotham, Marty Hayes, Andy Stanford, Claude Werner, and other top trainers. We had some very challenging scenarios, in low light, with fully clothed 3-D mannequin targets that only went down when hit solidly in the vitals. Here are a few of the results:
Stock Service Pistol- Champion-Danny Pate
1st Master- Wayne Colson
1st Expert-Jim Clark
1st SS- Randy Nash
1st MM- Joe Dimotta
High Revolver- Ron Holland
ESP Champion- Tolly Murff
1st Exp- Jeff Brown
1st SS- Bob Liddell
1st MM- Fredd Scheys
CDP Champion- Tom Givens
1st Master- Ronnie Hardin
1st Exp- Myrin Young
1st SS- Jim Watson
1st MM- Gerald Thompson

Our thanks to the SO's who conducted the match and to all of the shooters who attended. We'll be doing this agin on 3-4 August 2002. Watch our website at rangemaster.com for details and for full results from this match.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Tom is correct. The match and training conference were great events. A weekend in which one gets to shoot a challenging and practical match, attend lectures by noted trainers, and socialize with a fabulous bunch of like-minded folks really recharges one's batteries.

I got to see some old friends and meet some new ones. A splendid time!

Rosco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.