Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three 12-round hi-caps for my Paraordnance P.12 and after I get 8 or 9 rounds in them the cartridges rattle around inside the mag body. I've written Paraordnance and they told me to send them back, which I did. They supposedly "fixed" them, but they still rattle. I have replaced the springs with Wolff springs, but no change. They function fine, but damn that rattle is annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Greetings, and welcome to the fray! Ah, the infamous P.O. mag rattle. The problem, at least as I've diagnosed it, is with lower intermediate cartridges nosing up against the inside of the mag body and lightly "sticking", allowing those just above to free-float. If you doubt this, try the following: Next time you get the rattle, depress the cartridge stack just enough that the top cartridge moves visibly downward, thus loading the entire stack. Now shake the mag while under compression. No rattle, right? Now release pressure and re-shake. Our friend Mr. Rattle has likely returned.

There are 2 cures that I'm aware of. One involves using an aftermarket follower, such as the Arrendondo (sp.) piece, which, I believe, slightly changes the pitch angle of the cartridge. The other involves using ammo loaded to a shorter COL than the max. of 1.275". HTH.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Another thing I noticed was that it wouldn't rattle when inserting rounds 1 through 7. It would rattle on round 8, but not 9. It would rattle on 10, not on 11, and then rattle again on 12. I've tried the Arrendondo followers which did help with the rattle somewhat, but they wouldn't activate the slide stop after the last round had been fired for some reason. Having to choose between the two I decided to stick with the rattling magazines.

Something else I was considering is that most double-stack mags such as the Sigs, Hi-Powers, Berettas, etc. have a small indentation on both sides of the mag body just above the floorplate. The Paraordnance mags do not have this feature. What is the purpose of these "dents?" I was thinking that this would help keep the mag spring straight during compression (such as when the mag is fully loaded), but this is only a guess. My thinking was that since the Para mags don't have this "dent" then the mag spring could bow one way or the other causing the follower to tip to the side. This tipping of the follower would then result in extra space along one side of the mag body. Am I way off on this? I've been thinking about messing with some sheet metal to make a little spacer, but haven't gotten around to trying it. Might have to do that tonight. Let me know what you guys think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.