Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guy's

I got a real interesting question's , for our resisdent expert's , i carry a glock 30 , my current carry load is the 200+P speer golddot, I would like to know in the recorded shootings that have ocuured over the years, how have the 230 grains,200grains and 185 grains rounds perform in refrence to penetration in the victims, did they stop inside the body as hollowpoint's are supposed to do or did they mostly penetrated on through with and exit wound, i really would like to know.

G

·
Ask a really easy question why don't you?

Ok, in all seriousness to avoid needing to type a whole lot I will wait for an expert to answer this, but if you can tell me what rounds you are looking for info on I can see if I can offer any data on them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thak you Mr Fabio for been the first to respond, i kinda like the 230 and 200 grain rounds, i have read some of the information from the stopping power site from MR. Evan Marshall and ED Sanow, overall the 230 hydrashock,and the 230 golden saber are the 2 higest rated rounds acording to their analisys and research, waht made these rounds so effective that gave them such a supossely high rate and a what rate do these rounds usualy expand succesfully inside the body and compared to the rate that you have an exit wound, also does a particular round success depend on wheather a round exit's the body all fully expands inside and remains , how does this relate to succesful stopping power, the ultimate goal in using a firearm is to neutalize the imediate treat by stopping the B.G, felonuos attack, i want to maximize this without endangering other's , also i have read so much about the golddot design, and i picked the 200+P golddot as my carry load due to the fact that the glock 30 barrel lenght is less than 4 inches, and i want to have a balance of penetration and expansion.

G

·
Sorry G007,
I do not have any shooting info on the Speer 200gr +P GD, the previous version the wide mouth 200 gr+P loading was very effective in two shootings that I have, both times remaining in the body, both shootings involved mutliple rounds to differing areas of the body so I cannot and would not even try to guess at the percentages of effectiveness suffice it to say they worked and the BG is deceased in both cases.

As to the issue of passing through or remaining in the body being more effective it really does not matter until we narrow it to the structures being perforated and damaged by the intruding missle/bullet.

If the bullet has transferred it's energy resulting in a solid wound channel into the vital structures then remaining inside the structure when coming to rest will not provide an increased wounding effect or a faster time to collapse in lieu of creating an exit wound through the structures.

If on the other hand the bullet has provided enough damage to the vital structures and developed a solid wound channel into and through the structures and body the resulting wounds will produce a larger wound by virtue of the greater mass of tissues being damaged and the greater volume of blood loss.

I know that this is probably not the exact answer you are looking.
As to the GD or HS, the FBI picked the GD because it is almost a full 1/3 cheaper under contract and it does everything the HS does/did.

Personally, I have experienced a 70% failure to expand rate in testing the .45 caliber 185gr and 230gr HS bullets in obstructed gelatin.

I have only used the .185gr HS +P round on one deer and the round plugged with deer hide and passed through the doe's left chest and exited just above the right hip with zero expansion.

When the HS bullets do expand they expand to much larger diameters then my chosen Black Hills 230gr XTP jhp +P rounds, but in testing I have never had an .45 caliber XTP fail to expand and I have taken five deer with this round with very good success.

If the 200gr+P GD round is your most accurate and reliable round in your testing then I would stick with it hands down and I would not worry as even when .45 rounds fail to expand they are still very effective and even the much maligned FMJ round is very effective.

IMHO, training is a much more important issue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would direct you to Mr DiFabio's excellent article on this sight: http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... 6&forum=24 to begin. He has some additional tests as well you might search for.

Secondly, I would not worry as much about overpenetration. If the bullet expanded as it is designed, it will have lost a significant amount of its power as well as having drastically increased frontal area, and, there is evidence to say that exiting the rearward layer of skin requires as much force as pentrating 4" of muscle tissue, further decreasing the power. If the bullet has not expanded (for whatever reason), you can't control its pentration anyway; it will exit or not.

The most dangerous thing, far more dangerous than overpentration, is for whatever you decided needed stopped to continue, do to an underpenetrating bullet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always assume any round I fire will overpenetrate. Watch your backstop and angle your shots accordingly, if possible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On 2001-09-08 11:25, telackey wrote:

The most dangerous thing, far more dangerous than overpentration, is for whatever you decided needed stopped to continue, do to an underpenetrating bullet.
Well said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, I have experienced a 70% failure to expand rate in testing the .45 caliber 185gr and 230gr HS bullets in obstructed gelatin.
In tests I've performed or analyzed, I'm beginning to believe the HydraShok's post acts as a partial clog of the cavity, especially when clothing is encountered. So rather than aiding in bullet expansion the post hinders expansion.

When medium-heavy clothing is encountered it would seem the post would not permit a cloth plug to be pushed to the bottom of the cavity, and this cloth plug ends up obstructing the cavity opening. I have yet to see a plug of medium-heavy clothing that's been pierced by the post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.