Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in SHotgun News for some Browning High Powers that were converted to training pistols. The price is $65 for the frame, barrel, and slide. They were "deactivated" by welding the firing pin hole shut, putting a pin through the barrel, and painting the parts red. For $65 I was considering buying one and rebuilding it. It seems like quite the experience/adventure, but it seems like fun to me. My only concern was about the welded shut firing pin hole. I am not worried about the barrel as I could buy an aftermarket one, the only thing that I am really interested in is the slide and frame. Any guides for building a Hi Power? How would one remove the weld? Just drill it out and finish it slowly with a file? Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yikes, that sounds like a nightmare, not an adventure! First, I'm assuming that these are being sold as firearms, so that this project would be legal. The breechface may be fairly butchered up from the welding job, there's no telling what you've got left. BHP's, as popular as they are, seem to be the red headed step child of the custom parts world. There are so few parts available for them other than some hammers, sears, and sights. Certainly not like the 1911.

Good luck and let us know how/if you proceed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yikes, that sounds like a nightmare, not an adventure! First, I'm assuming that these are being sold as firearms, so that this project would be legal. The breechface may be fairly butchered up from the welding job, there's no telling what you've got left. BHP's, as popular as they are, seem to be the red headed step child of the custom parts world. There are so few parts available for them other than some hammers, sears, and sights. Certainly not like the 1911.

Good luck and let us know how/if you proceed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.