Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in Shotgun News for some Browning High Powers that were converted to training pistols. The price is $65 for the frame, barrel, and slide. They were "deactivated" by welding the firing pin hole shut, putting a pin through the barrel, and painting the parts red. For $65 I was considering buying one and rebuilding it. It seems like quite the experience/adventure, but it seems like fun to me. My only concern was about the welded shut firing pin hole. I am not worried about the barrel as I could buy an aftermarket one, the only thing that I am really interested in is the slide and frame. Any guides for building a Hi Power? How would one remove the weld? Just drill it out and finish it slowly with a file? Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought one of those about a year ago. Some are OK to build on & some not. Those with the barrel cam still in the frame are OK. If the cam has been replaced with a round rod, it's a project for an expert gunsmith/welder/machinist at best, a boat anchor/paperweight otherwise. As to the slide, it COULD be salvaged IF the same expert gunsmith/welder/machinist was available. I doubt anyone that I can think of would want to tackle it. I replace the slide on mine with one I bought for a very reasonable price on AuctionArms. I saved the old slide for experiments with sights, etc. The problem is that the slide is heat treated and the welding on the breach face certainly effects that. Removing the weld, dressing the breach face, and re heat treating would be far more expensive than replacing it IMO. Someone here may have some experience with that, but I doubt it.
To sum it up, if the frame is intact WITH the barrel cam in place, it might be a good project. Mine certainly was. But I've been smithing/tinkering with guns long enough to have some hard earned experience. I've got the ruined parts in a drawer to painfully remind me. :sad: If you feel froggy, jump, but go into it with your eyes open & don't do anything to risk your safety.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BBBBill on 2001-10-09 09:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this doesn't pan out (barrel cam still on frame)is there a source for good (intact) Hi Power frames? Basically, I want to be able to build my own. I would like to buy a frame and slide and work from there as money permits adding the parts and fitting as necessary until it's done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cylinder & Slide does replace barrel cams if my information is correct. You might check with them. Also, look for auctions by RIB-EYE on Auction Arms. They seem to have lots of HiPower parts. Good folks to deal with. You can email them from their link there. MWGWINC http://www.midwestgunworks.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BBBBill on 2001-10-12 10:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
139 Posts
Note edit in above post. the seller on AA has 2 sides for sale right now. A blue fixed sight model and a hard chrome (ad says stainless) model. Also some other parts. Seller user name is RIB-EYE. They are Midwest Gun Works our of Missouri. A bunch of former Browning employees. I've had some very nice work done by them on a Win 24.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BBBBill on 2001-10-12 11:49 ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.