Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Govt. I know that Kimber uses and recommends a 16lb. recoil spring.
Why do some people use 18.5lb.? Is this only to be used with with shok-buffs. Is 18.5lb better? What is the difference?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It usually all depends on the loads you are shooting, the hotter the load the heavier the spring, the lighter load the lighter spring. I use the strongest spring I can and the gun still function reliably, for the load I am using at the time. I read on a gunsmiths site(can't remeber which one),to look at how the empties are getting ejected it went something like:
1 to 2 feet:too heavy a recoil spring
4 to 5 feet:right weight recoil spring
6 to 8 feet+:too light a recoil spring

I hope this helps explain something for ya.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bonehead69 on 2001-10-16 01:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 18 1/2 pound spring in my Kimber Gold Combat because it feeds better. The slide/frame fit on this gun is extremely tight and after about 100 rounds, the 16 pounder just wouldn't do the job. The slide would stop about 1/4 inch shy of full lock up. With the heavier spring, no problem. That baby slams home every time.
Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I prefer the feel of the Wolff 18.5# Variable Power spring, though I can't tell a difference in function between a standard 16# and the 18.5# variable. At $7/spring, it's worth experimenting and picking what you like. I don't have any issues with loads from 200gr LSWC/5.2 W231 all the way to 225-230gr lead bullets/9.8gr HS-6 (not quite +P, but just under 1000fps), even with a shok-buff. It just keeps feeding and ejecting as though it knows what it's supposed to do. :smile:

The variable spring is supposed to offset the higher peak spring rate, if I understand Wolff's description, so battering on the return stroke shouldn't be an issue (I hope!).

George

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: georgek on 2001-10-17 18:53 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.