Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, my recoil spring for the 9x23/38 super combo is factory stock.I dont know the rate in lbs of this spring. In the future, what rate (lbs) should I buy to replace it. Brand? Is it advisable to use buffer?
thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've taken my Springfield 1911 to the range three times for function checking since EGW fitted a 9x23 barrel in it.

I put a box of CP FMJ competition and a box of Winchester Silvertips through it.

Even with a brand new, still in the shrink wrap, 22lb Wolff spring the brass is VIGOROUSLY ejected. Nothing like a .45 which can be made to drop the brass three feet to the right and one foot to the rear simply by changing the recoil spring.

I don't think Wolff makes a spring heavier than 22lbs but the way this 9x23 operates it seems like a 26 or 28lb spring would be needed to tame "the fickle flying brass".

I wonder if the amount of tension on the extractor has anything to do with how far the brass is tossed? I sorta doubt it.

Maybe the ejector is too long and if I trim it back to minimum length the extracted brass won't get smacked quite so hard. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I recently had a custom 9x23 done and have been using basic white box Winchester ammo. A Wolff 22 lb. spring in mine still throws brass about 8 ft. away with a shock buffer. I too would like to try a 26 lb. spring as well. Is there one made?

G

·
If you increase the main spring (hammer)
this makes the hammer harder to cock.
which slows the slide down. (this also may make your trigger heavier or crisper)

second choice is the square fp stop.
Ace 45 supers use to use (?) a 34# recoil spring! They started using the square stop in the kits and dropped down to a 30# spring.
geo ><>

·
Registered
407 Posts
the problem i noticed when playing with heavier main springs is the the "muzzle flip" increased. it did slow down the slides back recoil but made it harder to follow the front sight for quicker follow up shots.

the 9x23 high pressur rounds should be awesome with a compensator or porting. I have not tried one yet but am assuming.....

shay

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, George. I'll take your advice about fitting a square firing pin stop. Guess I should have bought one when I was at your shop picking up this monster 9x23.

What do you (or anyone else) think about shortening the ejector to reduce the amount of "whap" imparted upon the extracted brass? Would this help keep the ejected brass within the ballpark?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.