Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 1911 for around $1200. I've narrowed my choice between a Wilson CQB and Les Baer TRS or maybe a Rock River. I'm leaning to the WIlson because I need a rust resistant finish and the TRS is in blue.

I don't know much about 1911s, so I'd appreciate your opinions!

Slice

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't comment on the RR guns, but you won't go wrong with either the Baer or Wilson. I have one of each (actually, the Wilson is a Protector) and I honestly can't say which is "better" or which I prefer.

If the corrosion resistance is important, get the CQB. After some use, it won't look pretty, but it also won't rust.

Trouble is, you are going to have to pump up your budget by $400-$500. They are worth it, though. IMHO, the best budget 1911's right now are the Kimber full-size CDP and the full-size Eclipse. If you can't drop $1700 on a Baer or Wilson, the Kimbers are in your price range and I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On 2001-09-16 21:02, Wade wrote:
IMHO, the best budget 1911's right now are the Kimber full-size CDP and the full-size Eclipse. If you can't drop $1700 on a Baer or Wilson, the Kimbers are in your price range and I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Good luck in your search.
My $.02 on the Kimber full size Eclipse - I have one and love it. Great gun for the money. I am also thinking about picking up a TRS or CQB. Also considering a Kobra. The thing is that my Eclipse has been so good it is hard to justify the added cost. I'm sure I'll get over it though :smile:.

~ Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
As a CQB owner and one who sees both on the firing line, I would highly reccomend the Les Baer TRS. In fact if you look in the for sale section on this forum, there is one for sale, no not by me, at a good price, asking $1300.

As of late I think Baer has done a better job of quality control, especially in the fit and finish department. I understand that Wilson's has recently upgraded their not-so-tuff Armor-Tuff finish so maybe that will help the CQB some.

And be sure and look at the Kimbers and Springfield full loaded pistols. Both are great values for the money. I am not sure one is not better off getting a Kimber or SA and spending the difference on professional lessons.. you might just be a better shooter that way..........

Good shooting,

Dean

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dean Gamburd on 2002-06-20 15:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dean Gamburd on 2002-06-20 15:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Slice, You have heard from several of us regarding "the Pistol" to purchase. Based upon my experience I would go with either the Wilson CQB or the Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. However, both pistols new, are more than the $1200.00 budget you mentioned. If you can find either of the guns used, do it. Before you buy, have a competant smith give them the once over to make sure you aren't buying someone elses problem. On the other hand, if you can cough up about $300.00 more you can call Wilson or Les Baer and order a new pistol.

Know this, either of the choices mentioned you will be satisfied with. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would go with the TRS. No gun is rust proof, if you want ultimate resistance go with a hard chrome finish! The TRS is less expensive than the CQB and if you order the gun has a faster delivery than the CQB. They both have all the common and needed features of a carry gun. I would take the step up from a Kimber/Colt because I know you get what you pay for. I know plenty of guys at the ranges that bring Kimbers and drool over the Baers and Wilsons. I don't anyone who drools over a Kimber/Colt(stock) who has a Baer/Wilson.

·
Registered
65 Posts
SUGGESTION

AS Mentioned above buy a base model KIMBER stainless, you can't get a better package than thier base model. Shoot the hell out of it for about 1K rounds. Then decide if you want some modifications. You will likely make some small changes that you would like/want. You will still be under 1200.00. Go get some training or other 1k of ammo. Join IDPA and shoot some more.......

mark d.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a compact and full size CQB, two RR Elite Commandos, and a Baer Stinger. I currently carry the Stinger.

When I requalify on my CCW I will retire the Stinger and replace it with the compact CQB because of the finish. Maintaining a blued gun in the presence of sweat is possible, but requires constant vigilance.

I had problems with the Stinger on reliability, which Baer fixed. I don't think you will have such problems with a TRS as it is a 5" gun. My CQB's have been reliable. The RR's required a little work and a long wait. If you search you can see my extensive report on them here.

I think a used CQB is a good buy. New they are too pricey IMO. The armor tuff is not the prettiest stuff in the world, but it works.

The above advice about a stainless Kimber is good. Generally they run well. They are more "efficient" as far as getting a gun that runs for less money, but the guns you are considering have more features. Just make sure to get a Series I gun.

I do prefer the ergonomics of a Wilson over that of a Baer. In particular I like the Wilson Grip and Thumb Safeties better. It is a judgement call as they are all good guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.