Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read several times that all a bhp needs, usually , for better accuracy, is to recrown the barrel, is this a common problem to bhp or all pistols?

i do not read about this needing to be done to other pistol barrels is the reason i ask. i think i understand why barrels are recrowned, just why it is the seemingly common thing done to bhp barrels i do not.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here's my take on this. Most of the newer MKIII Hi Powers come with high quality, very accurate barrels. By re-crowning them, you ensure that every bit of accuracy is extracted from the barrel.

With many other guns, to get truly fine accuracy, you would start by replacing the factory barrel with one of "match" quality. For example, most entry level Springfield 1911's come with a two piece barrel that most would agree is not capable of "match" accuracy, so a re-crown would be a waste of money on such a barrel.

To take it one step further though, almost every quality pistol today has a good quality barrel very capable of fine "combat" accuracy -- maybe not for bullseye matches, but plenty good for combat.

Teddy Jacobsen (www.actionsbyt.com) does re-crowns on most pistols that come through his shop because it will improve accuracy. Also, cutting a deeper crown can protect the rifling in the event that the gun is dropped or slammed against hard objects, etc.

As always, YMMV. But I hope this helps explain the situation a little more.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have recrowned many barrels over the years. When the barrel is originally made the front face of the crown could be either out of concentricity or not perfectly square with the bore. When this happens , just as the base of the bullet is leaving the bore the gas will escape unevenly, thus tipping the bullet. To prove a point try recrowning and old barrel and the tool bit may touch an area first . I always crowned with a special spot face piloted in brass at a very slow speed and just enough to touch all around. This spot face was ground with a radius that also moved the rifleing back slightly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts