Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this on the Ruger Pistol Forum. My bad.

Anywho, my 44 mag Redhawk (1982 dob) has a B/C gap of .003 and about .002 endshake. The headspace measures .058-.059. From SAAMI, the 44 mag headspace should be .060 to .070. And 44 mag brass can run from .049 to .060 on rim thickness. So potentially I could get ammunition that will bind up this revolver.

I'd like to increase the headspace to .065 just to give myself a bit more leeway.

The ejector star sits about .010 below the rear surface of the cylinder. So I was thinking that the easiest way to gain some headspace would be to chuck the cylinder in a 3 jaw and turn .006 off the back. I wouldn't touch the ejector star or the ratchet. The only other alternative I can think of would be to file off .006 from the standing breech. But I'm not so sure I could do that and keep the surface flat and true.

Any advice or suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just finished installing a longer Bowen firing pin in this Redhawk. Protrusion was .040" and is now .055" max. Now that I've done that I feel more confident that increasing the headspace will not cause any FTF due to insufficient FP protrusion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts