Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have information regarding refinishing an HK USP? I already have the HE finish, just wanted something slightly more wear-resistant. Cosmetic I know, but allow me my anal retentiveness. I like the tennifer(sp?) finish that Glocks have. Is this a finish exclusive to Glock? Does HK offer different black finishes over the silver/gray HE finish? Thanks.

G

·
Robar does a particuarly nice job with NP3 on the USP.

Dave Spauldings USPc was beautiful after Robar got done with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Tennifer process is also used by Walther for the P99. It is not actually a coating but becomes a part of the metal itself. Even if the outer finish is worn off the Tennifer is still protecting the metal. There was a post at another board that explained the process, but they say the mind is the second thing to go and I can't remember what the first was.

The Walther P99 that I've owned since Feb. '97 has none of the original outer finish on it. It used to be a very matt black
dull coating. Of what, I don't know. You couldn't actually see this coating wearing away, it just gradually got lighter and lighter untill it was almost gone. I decided then to polish the slide with Flitz metal polish. I couldn't have asked for a nicer finish. I don't know why Walther even puts an outer finish on over the Tennifer process.

Now it is a very attractive gun metal blue-grey semi-polished finish. It's also slicker that anything I've ever run my finger across.
I've never seen any kind of rust or corrosion on this now almost five year old Walther. (Actually older than that since it was proofed in '96.)

Too bad more manufacturers don't use the Tennifer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.