Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many different interpretations of what constitutes a reliability job from the different smiths out there. Some just do a barrel throat, feed ramp polish, and extractor tension, and opening of the ejection port. Others do breechface polishing, disconnector work, etc.
For the smiths who frequent this board (or anyone else who knows about this), what is definitely important, and what is just hype?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ken,
Hope this answers your question. I clipped this from a brochure that I am developing.
Regards,
John

Function Reliability Tune Up

The purpose of the Function Reliability Tune Up is to make minor adjustments and corrections to the pistol so that it smoothly and flawlessly chambers, fires, extracts and ejects every round, when fed quality ammo from good magazines. I recommend that the work below be repeated on some regular basis on high use guns.

Every pistol should have the steps listed below taken to assure correct functioning and safe operation. In addition some pistols need additional work done (not included in the cost of the Function Reliability Tune Up), such as lowering the ejection port (most pistols made over the last 15 years already have “lowered” ports), re-crowning the barrel (not all factory crowns are bad), polishing the slide bore or rails on exceptionally rough guns, machining the clearance cut in the frame bridge, detenting the slide stop, and other miscellaneous work, such as tuning to run a particular ammo or installing an extended ejector. Because not every gun needs or every customer wants these additional jobs done, I treat these jobs on a “as needed, ala Carte” basis. I currently charge $60.00 for the following work.

1) Inspect pistol for operation of safeties to verify correct function, fit of barrel & slide, correct operation of fire control mechanism, loose sights, plunger tube and grip screw bushings.

2) Detail strip pistol, clean, dry and inspect all parts for damage, wear, rough surfaces and incorrectly done modifications (such as over polished feed ramp, etc.)

3) Modifications and adjustments are made as follows:

Breech Face:
Measure width & correct if tight
Polish surface of face and sides
Deburr firing pin hole

Chamber:
Check for correct headspace
Finish ream to clean the walls and cut leade
Polish chamber
Polish feed ramp on frame and barrel

Extractor:
Cut correct radii on claw and polish
Check engagement depth (“spring”) and adjust as required
Test and adjust tension

Slide stop:
Check and adjust fit as needed to assure proper slide lock back with empty gun

Barrel:
Inspect crown and locking lugs

Frame:
Check for frame bridge relief cut

Springs:
Test weight of recoil spring and replace if needed with correct weight spring
Replace any other springs as needed

4) Assemble and lubricate pistol, bench test function with dummy ammo

5) Test fire to verify proper function

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Nice list John :grin:

I agree, either do it all or it is not a reliability job. Reliability is a series of details done correctly. It is also dependant
on the quality of the base product how much work is actually done.

You want 100% reliability then it takes the time and money to set the gun up correctly with hand fitting. ALL the details need to be looked at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-28 13:50 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.