Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know?
Do you care?
Wolf brand .45 ACP - Russian steel cased - has a standard .210 boxer primer. I was picking up my empties this morning and a Wolf case caught the sun just right for me to see a single central flash hole. I brought a couple home, lubed and sized them in a steel die so as not to risk a carbide die, and seated a fired Fed primer. Went right in with a normal push in a hand priming tool. So I ran them through the Dillon and got two rounds of Wolf steel cased 200gr LRN reloads with no fuss. Both look normal and gauge as new.
Now I don't know if steel cases would hold up in repeated reloading and I'm not going to make a habit of it, just thought it was an interesting thing to see.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i too have tried to reload these just for grins, the only draw back i see so far is the varnish stuff they put on these cases, i think if there is a way to get this junk off completely they might be good for a couple of reloads anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine used to load on an RDP (remember those?) and had a Blaser empty fall into his .45 brass. The case was sized, the primer punched out (despite being a berdan case) and a new primer seated, then loaded. We found it when gauging ammo. As far as I know, he never fired it, just kept it on his shelf as a reminder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Way back in the early 70's I came across some
steel case 45's..Believe they were some once
fired stuff from the local national guard unit..Reloaded them and used them when there was no possiblity of reclaiming my brass..
Can't remember having any problems..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remember the old WWII vintage HB loaded w/steel cases? Several years ago, I loaded some of them w/LSWC-200gr. and they worked
fine. They were good for about 3 laodings, then they began to crack from belling the case mouth. I used a Lee Carbide sizer without lube but I wouldn't recommend doing that long due to wear.
What ever you do, DO NOT LAOD JACKETED
bullets !! The copper will FUSE to the steel case and you will have a BOMB in your chamber........

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2001-07-16 00:45, Ironside wrote:
What ever you do, DO NOT LAOD JACKETED
bullets !! The copper will FUSE to the steel case and you will have a BOMB in your chamber........
I don't get it... What's the difference between that and a Factory Wolf load... They are Copper Jacketed, wouldn't they do the same?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.