Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a G31. I have never reloaded "bottle neck" cases before, like the .357 Sig.,
only streight wall. How much of a hassle is
this caliber to reload and do I need additional case lube or tools other than a set of Dies? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.........

·
Registered
77 Posts
i reload 357 sig all the time with no problems, i use dillon case lube in a stolen cookie sheet like it says on the label. the main thing to watch is your bell and crimp, do not bell the case mouth any more than necessary, i bell mine to where the bullet just barely sits straight in the case maybe down .01-.02 then when i crimp, i crimp just enough to pass the "thumb"test only i use my wooden bench to press against. one other thing to watch is your style of bullet, regular 9mm bullets WILL NOT work. you must use one with a short ogive length, for plinking rounds i use the 124 gr flat point .355 from rainier ballistics.
if you need more detailed info e-mail me and i'll give you all the help i can.
good luck, mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all of you who responded to my Post. Also the Folks who replied via Email.
I think I am going to buy a case of .357 Sig. CCI Blazer to start with. I just don't think I want to mess with case lube and bottle neck cases since I would be starting from scratch in this Cal. Thank you all again.

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think you made a wise choice, i shoot some S&B, it never hurts to accumulate brass, i pick up some law man, or winchester when i want to drop some cash at a local shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On 2001-07-08 04:07, Ironside wrote:
I am thinking of purchasing a G31. I have never reloaded "bottle neck" cases before, like the .357 Sig.,
only streight wall. How much of a hassle is
this caliber to reload and do I need additional case lube or tools other than a set of Dies? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.........
Hello ! Do you know a good die in 357Sig and a "hot" load with jacketed soft points? HPS are forbidden in Germany....Thank you. Georg

·
Registered
169 Posts
BTW Midway has 357 sig brass on sale for under 30 bucks a thousand. Just got 1K myself. About 5% appears to have been shot in glocks, the rest with standard round firing pins. I always suspect brass from hot loads shot in a glock. I'll sort it and see how it does.

Anyway, it's a good deal on the brass. .357 sig is finally getting affordable. Dies are still pricey though

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suggest the LEE die set in 357 SIG. I have an RCBS set that had the sizing die out of spec. It took RCBS about 3 months to adjust the die. I know of at least one other person that had the same problem with the RCBS dies in 357 SIG.

My practice load is 13 grains of AA9 under a 124 grain Berry's flat point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ahve been reloading .308 and 45ACP for several years. I recently purchased a G32 and want to start reloading for it. I have seen several reloaders mention they use/have tried dollon, RCBS or Lee dies. Has anyone had experience with Redding dies for 357SIG? I have yet to purchase a set of dies. I am looking for a set to give the best overall performance for reloading the cartridge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.