Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Was curious, do any of you USP .40 owners shoot reloads? I'm thinking about getting into reloading, as means to be able to shoot MORE :grin: I am however hearing conflicting information about the safety of using reloads in .40 cal guns (mostly Glocks, but I have ever read references to USP, even with its fully supported chamber blowing up). Lots of folks seem to have NO problems whatsoever, while others think that running .40 reloads is tantamount to blowing your hand off :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-05-24 02:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
JLM,

Go to the reloading section and see the post from midvalleyshooter regarding .40 reloads.

I too have been trying to decide if I'm going to reload for my USP .40

I know some IDPA shooters in my area that reload .40 and I have talked to some and none have had any problems. Most are using 1911 based pistols. The only warning I got was from one individual who said he felt 231 was too temperature sensitive and he got some pretty high pressure in some loads. It gets fairly warm here in the summer, temps into the 100's. Then in the winter, loads may not chrono at power factor vel.

Second hand info, but it might gets some comments from others...

I'll check back and see how the responses go.

laters

gr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kahana on 2001-05-24 12:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good Evening, JLM.

I have an H&K USP .40 cal. I'll shoot around 5,000 rounds per year with it. About 95% of that is reloads. The "Old Pros" and the reload companies say that the .40 cal is designed for a chamber pressure of 35,000 psi or less. I've verified that fact in various ammo publications. So whatever receipt you try, checkout the specifications before you shoot.

Around my area we have two reload companies that alot guys buy from. They Tennessee Cartridge in Oakland, TN and Ammo Direct in Bartlett, TN. Ammo Direct has a web page: http://www.ammodirect.com. On that page in the section for .40 cal. you will find a note that verifies what I have said.

As a point of reference, I get a case (1,000 rounds)of .40 cal. 180 gr. FMJ for $159.00 plus tax. Of course, you may be able to cut that price if you do the work yourself.

As for reliablity, in the course of a year, I may get one mis-fire and maybe three or four stovepipes. Not bad for cheap practice reloads that perform very near to my personal carry ammo.

Please post any info that you may find.

·
Registered
403 Posts
reloading and shooting the 40 is no more or less of a deal than with any other cartridge. The thing you have to be careful of is the polygon barrel fouling with lead and pressure rise, and bullet setback problems.

Many of the few Kbooms that have occured can be attributed to bullet setback from impropper sizing of the case and crimp.

As for the polygon barrel, well just keep the loads this side of idiotic hot and maybe use plated bullets. Clean the gun a bit more often and you should be fine. These barrels DO foul more than conventionally rifled barrels in my experience.

I think this is valid info.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have been using commercial reloads. I have run over 5000 rounds of 180g plated, from a company here in CA. called Miwall. I have yet to have any problems at all. I get 1000 rounds for $118 which is why I have yet to reload .40 and may just continue to use their product.

Most of the people that I talk to that reload .40 feel the same about it as Peter.

I guess if you stay within published data it shouldn't be a problem

laters

gr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.