Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Rem. 870 Supermag, Special Purpose shotgun. It has a 23" barrel, systhetic stocks and a 4-shot tube. I bought this gun to shoot some 3-gun matches with. So I added a Choate 4-shot magazine extension and a TacStar 6-shot side saddle. When I installed the side saddle I found that I had to modify the front stock, so when cycling the gun the front stock could be pulled all the way rearward to eject the spent round. My problem is that now I have created a heck of a pinch point. It is between the back end of the front stock (where I cut it out) and the front of the side saddle. I want to fashion some type of raised area at the back of the front stock to keep my hand away from the pinch point. I have considered using a 2 part epoxy to do this with. Anybody else ever done this? What was your solution?

USPSA Member
GSSF Member
"Shoot Fast & Straight"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: triggerpresser on 2001-10-16 19:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought an old police trad in 870 with the wood furniture. To make it look pretty I put on new synthetics. Didn't work with the sidesaddle I installed. Rather than jump through a bunch of hoops, I switched back to wood. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
581 Posts
For three gun matches the easiest fix would be to dump the side saddle. I tried and tried to get used to them and it just was not happening. Now I just take ammo from my belt instead of trying to yank ammo out of that damn thing. But, they do look cool. I have an M-1 Entry Gun that for some reason wont run 100% with a side saddle.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tom,

Your M-1's reliability is effected by the SideSaddle because of the Benelli's inertia recoil system. If one changes the weight of the gun, the laws of physics impede proper cycling. This is why the Military's new M-4 is gas operated. This way, optics, spare rounds, lights, lasers, etc., can be mounted without a specific reliability concern. As for the 870 pinch point; perhaps the short, slim, and quite tactile Pachmayr fore end would help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2001-10-17 11:31, SNAPCUT wrote:
As for the 870 pinch point; perhaps the short, slim, and quite tactile Pachmayr fore end would help.
Snapcut, I checked out the Pachmayr fore end. Looks like it would solve my problem. However, since I have already taken the 'Dremel' tool to the original fore end, I think I'll take a crack at making it as much like a Pachmayr as I can. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.