Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, resale value+warranty shot, should trade for a 2nd generation etc. but...

I'm curious as to whether anyone here has tried sanding off a third generations finger grooves and what the results were.

Thanks for any help,

·
Registered
326 Posts
Contact Pete Carber at Custom Arms Co (CAC).
He does this as part of his grip frame reduction package. His website is : http://www.customarms.com. He just moved his shop from Penndel,PA to Bensalem,PA - new phone number is 215-633-7478. Pete does exceptional work and is a pleasure to deal with.
Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have filed and sanded off the finger grooves as well as the backstrap "checkering", and recontoured the frame all over the place.

Made the gun feel much better in my smaller hands. Gun shoots well and after about 1500 rounds havent had any problems.

Go for it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dane also does grip work on Glocks.

Personally, I find both the finger grooves and the accessory rails useless.

My favorite Glock configuration is the original "Slick-Grip" 17 I bought when they first came out.

G

·
I use a sanding wheel and remove the grooves then alternate to finer grits until smooth.
Once the surface is smooth I take a large sheet of skateboard tape and using a small rubber malet tap the grit into the frame.
The resulting texture is almost identical to the first generation Glocks and does not require additional finishing, painting, or epoxy work.

My didgital camera was "liberated" by some evil person so I cannot post a pic yet..
When I purchase a new camera I will post a pic.

Although the finish really does look like a first generation gun.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Or you could send your upper to glock and have a 2nd generation lower fitted for about 85 bucks... you need to have a new FFL transfer the lower as a new gun, but that way you have both.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does Glock still have 2nd Generation frames available?

I had heard that they were considering moldng some new frames w/out the finger grooves sometime in the future, if they can achieve enough ATF "points" for importation without the grooves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought I'd update in case someone searched and came up with this thread.

First, I chicken'd out and traded the 23 for a Second generation G-19. Thought it was a decent move till last week.

Ran into a guy at the range shooting a G-23, we got talking he had same issue as me and showed me what he had done. First it turns out the grooves actually did fit OK it was the trigger guard that was pushing my fingers down off them (Didn't realize that). He had shaved the bottom of the trigger guard to give just a bit more room at the top and cut the "lip" at the front bottom of the grip into the same half-moon shape cut as second generation guns have and added a pierce mag bottom that fills this whole (another 1/4" or so room at the bottom). All done with a dremel.

Accckkk!! It felt like it was made for my hand and he had no interest in parting with his and my 23 and hi-caps long gone. So ends the sad tale of Blueduck :sad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.