Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a S&W Model 19-5 revolver from a relative. I like the gun, but hate the shiny nickle plated finish that's on it. Is it possible and cost effective to have the nickle plating removed and the gun refinished in a standard blue? Are there any problems or pitfalls associated with doing this? I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this gun or trade it for an equivalent model with a finish I prefer (blued or stainless).
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
579 Posts
Since you inherited the Smith it would seem like you would want keep it (my personal view). You could have a finish put over the nickel like Black T. I'm not sure but think the cost to remove the nickle would be too much. Do a search of finish on this forum. Good hunting! :grin: Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gun doesn't have any sentimental value, either to me or my relative (who's elderly, but still living). It's probably an early 80's model. It was given to me because I'm the "gun guy" in the family.

What about bead blasting the nickle finish for a matte appearance? Has anyone seen one set up like this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.