Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeeks ago I ordered an in-stock Alessi ACP from Dane Burns. Like many on this board . . . I hate to wait, so I was pretty excited that Dane had one in stock. As luck would have it, a few days after I ordered the ACP I saw a post from Richard Heinie that he had some holsters on closeout. Clicked on his link and found an Alessi CQC-S at a significantly reduced price. I was certain it had been snatched up already but called anyway. Evidently the post had just gone up not long before I called. It was available and I ordered it up, figuring I'd keep one holster and sell the other to a buddy.

Well, they both arrived last week and after a few days of using and evaluating each I've decided my buddy can get his own. I'm keeping both. The ACP and the CQC-S are both beautifully made and extremely comfortable. One thing I didn't expect--they are lighter than any leather holster I've ever used. I expect these two will last me for years to come. Burns, Heinie, Alessi--great work and great service. I'll recommend 'em!

·
Registered
53 Posts
pswann,

Could you give an evaluation of the differences between the two? Something like which one conceals easier, which is more comfortable, which carries higher and closer to the body, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cactus:

Wish I had taken some good digital photos to show you (and others) what I’m talking about. Perhaps I’ll do that this evening and post them in this thread. Anyway, I want to emphasize that what follows is just my very subjective opinion. YMMV.

Both rigs have the FBI cant and seem to ride at almost the exact same height. They are not extreme high-ride rigs like, say, the Milt Sparks #60 TK, but place the high-point of a Government Model (the bottom of the mainspring housing) about an inch under the bottom of my ribs, maybe mid-kidney, if I have my anatomy right :smile:

The main difference, in my view, is the "footprint" of each holster on your belt. The ACP seems to take up the exact minimum amount of space necessary to fully support a full-size 1911. It’s really pretty amazing. The CQC-S takes more belt real estate because of the wings that support the snap loops. One positive outcome of this design, though, is that it seems to aid in weight distribution so you don’t feel the weight of the muzzle against your hip quite like you do with the ACP (or at least I don’t).

Another benefit of the CQC-S design is the ability to adjust the placement of the holster once it’s on your belt. It takes a little effort and probably isn’t very good for either your holster or your belt, but you can slide the mounted holster forward or backward a bit until you find where it’s most comfortable, a feature I really like. Of course, right now I’m using it with a one-and-a-quarter inch belt and this might not be possible when I move up to a one-and-a-half inch model.

As I noted in my first post, both models are very light in comparison to other holsters I’ve used, with the ACP having a slight advantage here because of the absence of the wings and snaps. The boning is beautifully executed on both models and both share a reinforcing band at the mouth, though the ACP reinforcing band seems to go further around to the back of the holster while the CQC-S reinforcing band ends where the snap wing begins. Regardless, both remain open for easy reholstering after the pistol is drawn.

In sum, I like the "minimalism" of the ACP and the weight management/adjustability of the CQC-S (not to mention the easy on/off made possible by the snap loops). I honestly can't say which conceals better since I haven't tried to conceal either. My guess is that the ACP might have tha advantage in concealability thanks to its lower profile (if that makes sense). At this point, I honestly couldn’t say which I prefer, which is probably why I’m going to keep both. After I get more range time with each I’ll post further impressions.

Apologies in advance for the length of this post. Just wanted to give a full description of each product. I also want to state that I’m just a customer and am not affiliated with Alessi in any way. I’ll do my best to answer any other questions that I might’ve missed in this post. Just let me know.

This is a great board. I learned a lot from reading posts before I spent my money.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pswann on 2001-11-12 18:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
849 Posts
pswann, Thanks a million for that glowing review! You made my day, actually my whole week! :grin:
We've been so busy lately I haven't had too much time to get in here, so it was a very welcome surprise when I looked in this morning.
Thanks again,
Lou

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.