Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a tremendous difference in the requirements of a street carry pistol vs a target pistol. I do not believe all gunsmiths understand this at all. I am not talking so much about the melt down proceedures or the appearence of the pistol. There is a great deal involved in my mind, such as I do not require a super tight fitting barrel or bushing. Finish is very important depending on the climate you live. So you want to carry a 5 inch government model 1911, and you are a police officer. Reliability is of prime importance, but their are other things that can drive you crazy such as protruding thumb safety's, How about the gunsmith that likes to cut your magazine catch assembly spring or your hammer spring, there are so many things to think about when it concerns life and death in an instant. I am left handed when I carried my Colt 45 and sat in a police car, my pistol was jammed up against the door hardware all the time, so there was no reason to change any of the factory parts that protruded on the left side and in those days I never knew of any amby safety's so I always kept the hammer on a live round. Had I had a hammer or grip safety that I could not easily pull back I would have been in serious trouble, as it was I was in trouble because my pistol jammed every other shot. I even used a collett bushing, in those days that was the way to go. If you do not have a super long thumb it becomes very difficult to pull back a commander hammer with one hand when you are using a new style beavertail where the hammer actually sits in a hole, you must pull the hammer back and push it down into the hole, it can be a nitemare in a panic situation. Then we have the front strap checkering most of you love, have you any idea what 20 lpi does to your clothing. In those days everyone used pachmayr wrap around grips, but it clings to clothing something awful. Using rubber in a carry gun is not all good. Sights are another major problem or rather were in the old days, because today you have so many options. The sharp edges of sites will eat up your skin in a hurry. That is why so many people today like Novak sites. I just used the original colt factory sights, that you could barely see. This is now 30 years later and I strongly recomend the use of the front nite sight only. There is no cofusion and it is highly visible and not much chance for error. It gets kind of hectic when you are entering a building where there is a burglarly in progress. I remember answering a call one nite while working with a female officer, and I went in first and we both had our pistols out and hers was pointing to my back, and I told her to be careful she does not shoot me by mistake. Its a fifferent ball game when dealing with protection of life and property and I just wanted to give all of you some thing to think about.

Teddy Jacobson
http://www.actionsbyt.com

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a set of wood grips with checkering so sharp it cut into my shirt when carried high & tight to the body.
I like the Ahrend's tactical grips for that reason, the checkering is more forward of the curve, helps the feel without shredding my clothes.
I've talked to people that wanted a lighter mag release spring, even though they didn't carry an extra mag...

G

·
Teddy,
All good points, I have carried "sharp" pistols for so long in IWB holsters under suit coats that I developed the method of having leather patches sewn into my sport coats.
As to my body I have developed so much callous/scar tissue where the pistol contacts my body that I can no longer tell the difference in my ARG's between a "smooth" Glock and a sharp 1911. To stay fresh I swapped my right hand 1911 with my left hand 1911 and ouch... I don't carry two pistols or left handed as often as I should and I quickly discovered how sharp the corner on my Les Baer adj. sight is.
Odd point on cocking the 1911, my uncle taught me the 1911 as a carry piece and I have always cocked the hammer as I drew the pistol in one motion, I do have long thumbs though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-06-09 19:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YOU replies are so true. Unless you have seriously carried a weapon, a person could not understand how aggravating this can be, day after day after day. DAVID you know exactly where I am coming from. Good point about the grips also, in fact on the 1911 pistols I make I usually buy Navidrex contoured for smaller hands made of rosewood composite.

Thanks
Teddy

·
Registered
524 Posts
Teddy-
I've been carrying for 27 years and VERY seldom do I not have "something on the hip". After all this time, I feel "nekkid" (as we say in the South) if I'm not armed. Has been uncomfortable at times, but I'll trade discomfort for security any day. :grin:

Oh, by the way, I can appreciate your comment on being issued a shotgun with just three shells. In my early days in patrol, my first agency kept the agency shotguns locked in the Chief Deputy's office and we were told that we could come in and get one if we encountered a "serious situation". Of course the Chief Deputy only worked Mon -Fri, 8 to 5!!! Cool, huh?

Sic Semper Tyrannus

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-06-10 01:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-06-10 01:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WITHERSPOON YOU are absolutely correct. I was furious that they would only give me 3 or 4 shells, I now forget which it was, but if the average person saw where I worked they would not even want to ride thru there in an armored personnel carrier. Your enemies are in the dept. not in the street, now most people could never understand that statement. These people pick a gunsmith like the pick a BARBER or HAIR SYLIST, but if they make a mistake ok so your hair will grow back. If your GUNSMITH makes a mistake you go under ground FOREVER. Most people do not have a clue what I am saying, The fact that a guy is a great machinist or was a plumber or he is a woodworker does not qualify him to do intricate very detailed trigger work. I don't care who gets mad at me I have been living with this a long time. ANYONE THAT GETS A CLASS 01 FFL CAN HANG OUT A SHINGLE AND WORK AS A GUNSMITH. THERE IS NO LICENSING CRITERIA FOR A PERSON TO WORK AS A GUNSMITH. WHEN I FIRST STARTED MANY YEARS AGO NO ONE WOULD GIVE ME THE RIGHT TIME OF DAY INCLUDING THE MEMBERS OF THE GUILD. THAT IS WHY I WOULD NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDER JOINING ANY ORGANIZATION, CAUSE I AM NOT ABOUT TO TEACH THEM WHAT I KNOW, WHEN I FIRST STARTED DOING TRIGGER JOBS I CHARGED 30 DOLLARS PER GUN AND NO ONE WOULD EVEN TRUST ME WITH THEIR GUN, THEY WOULD RATHER GIVE ME THEIR WIFE.

Teddy

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gods do I agree with that "any one with an FFL." part.
I know a few people that go to "gunsmiths" that not only aren't trained, half don't even have that FFL.
"yeah, X does a great trigger job."
"I had Y work on my Pony, and he's almost got it feeding reliably. No, I never fired it before having him snip coils off the srpings, but he said it'd need reliability work, and he must be right, since it's still not working right. Trigger feels better though."

It's truely scarey.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Teddy said in his post above, "I am left handed. I never knew of any amby safety's so I always kept the hammer on a live round."

Teddy doesn't need defending. I've met him and despite all his "poor old man on the edge of death" complaints he's someone who came up the hard way, hiked himself up by the bootstraps and enjoys the respect of his profession and his customers.

When I met Teddy to have him do the trigger on my Kahr I approached him with the respect he has earned and he couldn't have been more generous with his time and his knowledge.

I suspect that he decided years ago that when he's pushed to push back. Not everyone is a friggin' public relations genius.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-06-11 02:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
I personally like reading Teddy's insights. Its refreshing to hear things that haven't been filtered through some major Gunrag's EDITORIAL panel (the guys that have to answer to advertisers). I for one hope he sticks around here for awhile at least, so I can learn some more :smile:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TO FERRET MAN I talk with about 75 people a week, most people that I communicate with DO NOT HAVE A CLUE as for you I do not know, I had one guy come to pick up his 1911 and the HAMMER WAS BACK ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER AND HE SAID WHATS WRONG WITH THIS GUN I CAN NOT PULL THE TRIGGER IT WONT WORK, AND I SAID FIRST YOU MUST SQEEZE THE GRIP SAFETY TO DISENGAGE IT, AND THEN IT WILL WORK, AND HE SAID OHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Thanks TONER GUY I REALIZE I AM WASTING MY TIME WITH A LOT OF THESE PEOPLE AND DON'T EXPECT TO BE ON HERE MUCH LONGER. SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WRAPPED TO TIGHT AND ARE PLAYING WITH 26 CARDS.

TEDDY

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I suspect that he decided years ago that when he's pushed to push back. Not everyone is a friggin' public relations genius.

Teddy as long as you can stand it I think your experience is a valuable asset to this forum. Their are any number of professionals that have access to this medium and choose not to use it.

I respect anyone who states their opinion in a civil manner. Thanks for showing up and using some of your "spare" time to educate the list.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you and please don't leave. I certainly don't know what you're talking about most of the time - but I'm learning!!

I was talking with an old friend Saturday. He recently took a S&W Model 60 to a "new" gunsmith and asked him to "smooth up" the trigger pull. This was sort of a test of the smith to see what he would do.

The man simply clipped coils and the gun wouldn't fire 30% of the time. The hammer didn't fall hard enough to pinch any part of your body (finger, ear lobe, etc.) that you stuck in the way.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS DANE
JOHN, YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
WHATS YOUR LIFE WORTH, I have had a pistol close to me since I was 18 yrs. old. I would never consider being with out one. I have seen exactly what people do to the inside of these GUNS, that is what has infuriated me. I have seen these writers give some of these flunkies and frauds top billing, maybe some one got a free gun. I could name names but I would not do that in a public forum, but I know exactly who they are. I am certainly not afraid to speak my mind providing I can just find open minded people. I have not had an easy life and its been an up hill fight since day 1. I am just trying to help people, I do not want your money or anything from you except your open mind.

Teddy

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hello Teddy J. I know I sure enjoy reading your posts and insight into trigger jobs, custom work and what a professional goes through. Also look at the growing membership on this form Dane has provided and the limited no of replies, plus all the people who just "surf on in" to this sight. Keep up the good work, you are helping alot more people than you realize and getting them to think. Best Wishes, Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr. Jacobson,

Although I have been shooting since I was a kid, I just purchased my first 1911 6 months ago. Following these forums, I felt I had learned a lot about these pistols, but every time I read your posts I realize how much I don't know! Please continue to educate me as I am not sure there are others who will.

Thank You

lesthemess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.