Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first off, let me say that I am a big Colt fan. I love my 13 Colts, and all of them are reliable and accurate. My carry piece is a Colt Defender 'XS' series. It has been perfect. After 3 years of sweaty body carry, I am sending it off to AW&P to have it hard chromed, it needs it, the frame was starting to look pretty bad. I paid around $600.00 for the gun new. In the last 2 months I have purchased two used Defender 'xs' series that are in LNIB condition. I have paid about $700.00 a piece for them. Had they never been fired, they would have cost more like $800.00 or more.
So, to get to my question. The local dealer has been getting in quite a few Wilsons lately. I have had a chance to handle a
Protector, a MP, KZ, and CQB. I like them alot, and from everything I have read they are all obviously nice pistols. But, if I spend $1800.00 on one, shoot it, wear the finish off some etc. what am I left with if a ever want to trade one in? A $1000.00 gun?
If I threw a new Colt away I would not have lost that much $$ value. It is like thinking that a Mercedes, BMW, Caddy or lincoln hold their value better. How can it hold it value if you buy it new for $60,000.00 and 5 years latter it is a $10,000.00 dollar car?

Odds are if I bought one I would not sell it, just curious what everyones opinion is on this subject. Thanks for you time and answers!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Genie left a comment that was not worthy of this board and I deleted it.

Feel free to condemn the product, do not personally attack a maker on this forum.

For a slightly less biased opinion. Wilson Combat makes a good gun. Some say a great gun. I do know they have some of the best customer service in the business and I spend money with them on a regular basis. If I were to buy a box stock gun to shoot, it would be a Wilson. I own one now that I am rebuilding. Take that for what it is worth. I own a lot of nice 1911s and usually do something to all of them.

That said I don't like everything about the Wilson guns. But they are a resonable value for the money. Resale? You won't loose much on a Wilson even after long use, if you bother to have it refinished before you sell it. No well known maker's gun will loose money if you take care of it. Buy the right ones and you'll sell them for more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-11 05:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a couple Wilson guns also and they are well worth the money. As Dane said, if you take reasonable care of it, it will take care of you if you decide to sell it. Kind of like a Rolex :wink: I would probably steer clear of the KZ, IF resale value is on your mind. These seem a bit more of a challenge to sell.
BTW I paid $16000 for an 1988 BMW M3 in 1993 and if I sold it today I don't think I would struggle to get $14000. Buy the right BMW and you won't get soaked when it comes time to sell.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Resale value.... The thing I would like to point out is that you are talking about two different classes of guns.

A box stock colt can be had for $700. You can literally buy two of them for the cost of a wilson.

In the car example. If you buy a Kia for 8000. or buy a BMW for 80000. You will loose more resale value on the more expensive item. This is true for most things.

I would venture to make a guess that you are not going to buy a Wilson to turn around and sell it to make money. If you are maybe you should look at a different gun.

Do you like the Wilson gun? Can you afford it? Do you really want it? If you answered yes to these, buy it. You will probably have it forever.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have never bought a gun as an investment or on speculation about its resale value. I bought my CQB because I intend to keep it and use it a long time. I hope to shoot enough ammo thru it to make thw cost of the gun insignificant.I use it and enjoy it and appreciate it every time I pull the trigger on it. Whenever I get a new gun, I normally toss the box or whatever it came in because I figure the resale value of my used gun will not be based on wheather I have the box or not. I do feel that the resale value of high quality well known guns will be higher than others of lesser quality or fame. I think that is common knowledge. I'm just not one to buy a gun and leave it in a box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.